PDA

View Full Version : searching for wisdom

notacarpenter
02-26-2011, 07:15 PM
This is my third year of tapping, and even after doing some research I find myself still guessing. I have approximately 40-50 taps on my property, but many are surrounded by evergreens. Obviously, it's hit or miss, the ones more exposed to the sun gets the better flow. I also tap from a relative who has mostly hard-wood on his property, (about 40 taps). These run pretty well.

-My question is whether or not there is that perfect day to put the taps in.

-When do the larger-scale farmers tap, those who have 1000+?? Obviously, they can't wait until the sap is running, but is there a series of temperatures that dictate when to put the taps in?
-How risky is it to put them in early prior to the big thaws?
Do you have to have consecutive 20-40+ temp spreads to get the juices flowing?
Is it okay to re-bore tap holes that seem to dry up over a couple of weeks?

Any info on these mysteries will be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks!!!

shane hickey
02-26-2011, 07:25 PM
This is my third year of tapping, and even after doing some research I find myself still guessing. I have approximately 40-50 taps on my property, but many are surrounded by evergreens. Obviously, it's hit or miss, the ones more exposed to the sun gets the better flow. I also tap from a relative who has mostly hard-wood on his property, (about 40 taps). These run pretty well.

-My question is whether or not there is that perfect day to put the taps in.

-When do the larger-scale farmers tap, those who have 1000+?? Obviously, they can't wait until the sap is running, but is there a series of temperatures that dictate when to put the taps in?
-How risky is it to put them in early prior to the big thaws?
Do you have to have consecutive 20-40+ temp spreads to get the juices flowing?
Is it okay to re-bore tap holes that seem to dry up over a couple of weeks?

Any info on these mysteries will be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks!!!
1000 taps isn't that many I can do that in one day. But I would pay attention to the news weather. It doesn't matter much about the sun light if it is the shade then it might take longer to get sap dripping but it will run longer towards the end of the season. South side of the tree will usally or always run first but will dry out first too. I dont reckomend re-boring holes but you can do that if you want. It takes a long time to dry out a whole it it freezes at night, So I wouldn't worry about tapping to early. Hope this helps. shane