PDA

View Full Version : Roadside tubing system notes and pictures

Sugarmaker
02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Several folks have asked me about the roadside trees and what I call short run tubing systems or "sets"
I have about 30+ stations like this and have included some pictures of what I use to make it work for us.
The pluses:
1. Roadside trees have large crowns and generally have better sugar content.
2. Most are hard maple but I also see a lot of soft maple too. We tend to tap 98% sugars. but if a soft maple is in the line it may get a tap or two also.
3. Bringing the lines back to the sugarhouse each spring allow for a good cleaning with water and compressed air combo.
4. Instead of touching/ dumping 600 buckets we pump from 30 + locations.
5. Saves the back and more that half the time of gathering.
6. Allows me to send out a small crew to gather and I know it wont be overwhelming for them.
7. I can gather by myself and still be relaxed and refreshed when I get back to boil:) Takes about 2 - 2.5 hours to gather.
8. I set the containers on a small rather light weight wooden skid. [half of a full size skid].
9. We have about 1000 gallons of storage capacity in the containers, They are 40 and 35 gallons.
10. I use a 36 inch long bungee's with plastic hooks to hold the container to the pallet. Yellow ones from Walmart.
11. Three holes are drilled [about 7/16 dia] in the container near center just under the rim. Two holes [one on each side] are for the bungee. One is for the tubing to enter.
12. I have tried several methods of attaching the bungee but like the version this year the best. The bungee is under the pallet and up both sides.
13. I have some pictures of the CEC Loop I talk about. This is the key to making this work for us. 8 inches of 30P, two CDL end rings and you have a simple adjustable tightening system for the lines between the trees and at the container too.
14. We use the CDL end hook also and then the lines can be put up and taken down with no cutting and they can be adjusted [tightened] while your waiting for the sap to pump out of the container.

The disadvantages:
1. You have to rent the trees from land owners and pay the rent.
2. I take the tubing down each April equals more labor than leaving it in the bush.
3. We have to put it back up each spring. Takes about 15 min to re-string each set with two folks.
4. Once I have the grade set [5%] the first time. I mark the trees above and below the tubing. Then its a good reference point for setting the tubing next year.
5. I mark each set with a plastic tag with the owners name or the location.
6. All 5/16 lines so I limit each set to no more that 20 taps. [ a big run of 2 gallons per tap would fill the container].
7. I travel about 30 miles if I don't have to go back and dump the tank.
8. Cost of any new system can make you cringe. If you have buckets now this is added expense but I believe is a good investment. May want to figure $6-$8 per tap.
9. you can tighten these too tight and the fittings might pull apart when the temp drops. Carry your tubing tools when you go to gather.
10. Containers can get moved and dislocated during sever wind and snow plowing. Also inspect the lines during gathering for limbs and damage.

Well now you know the rest of the story. Sorry for the length.
This is not for everyone but hope it helps some folks! Of course questions/comments suggestions are welcome.
Regards,
Chris Casbohm

Gary R
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I helped Sugarmaker put the tubing up this year. It was a really neat system. The tubing uncoiled much easier than I thought it would. The faint paint marks on the trees were very helpful. You could tell which end was the high or low end ,also which way to go around the trees. All the taps lined up excellent on the trees.

Harken
02-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks Chris,

I was out setting up "sets" of short run gravity tubing today (my first). After running a few, its gets alot easier ! I like the idea of your tubing tension system. The pictures help ! I used a Lapierre slide fitting on the low end of the line - for tension adjustment- , and a drop-line hook on the last tree. Any suggestions on how to fasten the slide fitting to the tree, not using wire ?? I will be leaving my lines up, and don't want the wire to grow into the tree.

Ken

Leadft
02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I like to use the end forks for my lines... I can do a little tension on a few with a bungee around a tree if needed... There is a couple places I have used a piece of 1/2" mainline with a few fittings and ran almost 60 taps along a set of trees and let it flow into a 55 gallon drum...