PDA

View Full Version : Deer damage

Parker
11-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I went over to the bush on Hoit road today (trying to get damaged lines off the ground BEFOR snow-freeze) and I could not believe the deer chew damage,,,its the only bush I have they bother but every year it has been getting worse,,I remember someone mentioning something they use on the lines to help prevent this but could not find the thread here.....anyone have any ideas,,this bush will be getting thinned and I think that will help but until then I would like to find a "quick and easy" soultion....Thanks

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-22-2005, 07:24 PM
post edited

brookledge
11-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Venision stew :)
Just like any other type of pest you need to be present to keep them out.
Maybe an air canon on a timer but have heard that they learn over time that it won't hurt them. May be walking your lines more often leaving human scent will deter them. I wish you luck and maybe someone else can help. The woods are their home and they are there 24/7 whereas we can't be there to keep them away. Another thought is to check with some orchards to see if they have any good sugestions.
Keith

themapleking
11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I had the same problem this summer. I had to replace 12 drop lines from them chewing them up.
I know my lines were empty cause after I cleaned them I drained them with the vacuum pump, than I blew them out with the air compressor.
This was the first time the deer have done this. The lines have been up for 5 yrs. :roll: :?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-23-2005, 07:12 AM
post edited

forester1
11-23-2005, 08:28 AM
There is a producer nearby who lost over 200 drop lines to squirrels chewing and he applied hot pepper spray and lost only 3 the next year. I think it should work for deer too. He only sprayed out from the trees 3 feet but for deer you would have to spray the whole system probably. Maybe you could get by just spraying the outside lines? He only applies it spring and fall and it lasts all year. You buy it in a gallon concentrate and cut it with water. It is very powerful so you have to be careful: use rubber gloves, and don't get it in your eyes, etc.

Dale Westrick
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I went over to the bush on Hoit road today (trying to get damaged lines off the ground BEFOR snow-freeze) and I could not believe the deer chew damage,,,its the only bush I have they bother but every year it has been getting worse,,I remember someone mentioning something they use on the lines to help prevent this but could not find the thread here.....anyone have any ideas,,this bush will be getting thinned and I think that will help but until then I would like to find a "quick and easy" soultion....Thanks I have been qiuite interested in this problem since a rabbit hunt I was on a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been working on a system that hopefull would eliminate the problem that you mentioned. I forgot to mention the rabbit hunt was next to a abandoned maple sugar operation.

maplehound
02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Friend of mine told me that the best thing to keep deer away from anything is Irish Spring Soap. He says he rubs it on his small trees to keep them from rubbing on them. I bet it would help with the lines to. I myself have never had deer chews ( at least I don't think so) but I do have alot of raccoon and squirel chews. any idea about them?
Ron

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
post edited

Parker
02-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Yesterday afternoon I replace 11 lateral lines on Hoit road that were destroyed by deer,,all the lines ran through small hemlock trees,,,next year ther will be no small hemlcok trees there..I hope that will solve the problem,,I think they like the cover

maple flats
02-08-2006, 05:01 AM
They do like the cover and they feed on hemlock during the winter as well (as your tubing)

ennismaple
03-16-2006, 11:16 AM
This is my first visit here - I like the forums!

We had to replace a section of deer damaged 1-1/4" mainline this year for the first time. It had the "mashed" appearance that people have referred to. We used to have problems with squirrel chews until we stopped washing our lines with Javex solution - they liked the salty residue. Now we only wash with hot water.

I think a .308 Remington or an NAP 100gr Thunderhead is the best solution to deer problems in your sugar bush! Plus it tastes great with mashed potatoes...

Considering the number of miles of pipeline and there are dozens of deer in our sugar bush we actually don't have too much damage. It's still a pain to fix though.