PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Traverse City

corbyshaw
02-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I was just wondering if anyone in Traverse City was tapping this weekend?

Ausable
02-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I was just wondering if anyone in Traverse City was tapping this weekend?

Hi there corbyshaw - With all Your Lake effect Snow - I wouldn't think you could even find your trees - let alone tap them. Gonna tap the rest of mine today -- but - it is still to cold over on this side - tomorrow is supposed to get above freezing here -- so maybe a little sap. What do You have for snow depth now? We lost a lot of snow last week so getting around is fairly easy now -- Have a good Maple Syrup Year --- Mike

corbyshaw
02-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey Mike thanks for the reply we have about 6 inches to a foot of snow on the ground, we lost most of it in the last two weeks. Corban

TC matt
02-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm going to tap about 20 tomorrow. About 5 miles west of TC. Where are you?
Matt

whalems
02-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I am 20 miles west of TC. Looking at the long range forecast next weekend looks better then this. I think I will start tapping end of next week.

bluebay
02-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm 6 miles north on OMP. I'll start Thursday or Friday.

Mio1
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm also tapping next week the sun don't come out until the end of next week 90 miles east

Ausable
02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm also tapping next week the sun don't come out until the end of next week 90 miles east

Well Hi there Mio1 - Was over to Your Town just yesterday. Always make it a point to stop into the Amish Hardware - North of town. Always on the look out for stuff I can use in Maple Sugarin. So Shazam - I come across a box of the saddest, beat-up, rusty, abused Spiles that I have ever saw in my life - so bad that you would be embarrased to give them away -- Choke - and they were only $1.69 each without hooks.. I chuckled and left ---- Mike

michiganfarmer2
02-28-2011, 06:14 AM
IM 3 miles south of Kingsley. IM planning on tapping the weekend of the 5th and 6th. No warm weather forcast even then or the week after. We have between 6 inches, and in some places 2 feet of snow in the woods.

Im still working on tubing. Making repairs and improvemnts to my exsisting tubing. I currently have about 300 taps on tubing and a 3 diaphragm vaccum pump. IM hoping to double that count to 600. I also put out about 300 buckets last year. Id like to double that too, but I dont know if I can. I own a sharpening shop right in Traverse so IM stuck here al day during the week

Mio1
02-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes I have seen those taps there also, that all they have thats why they are still there. Now they have the plastic ones.

cherryfarmer
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I am starting tomorrow and hope to be done sunday. I am west of t.c.

Ausable
02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes I have seen those taps there also, that all they have thats why they are still there. Now they have the plastic ones.

Yep -- Saw them too -- they would be ok for hooking tubing on and running down to a bucket on the ground.. Being we have no stores in our area that carry much in the way of sugarin supplies - I order most everything -- or jury rig what I need. How do You obtain what you need? --- Mike

mauisun97@yahoo.com
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Yep -- Saw them too -- they would be ok for hooking tubing on and running down to a bucket on the ground.. Being we have no stores in our area that carry much in the way of sugarin supplies - I order most everything -- or jury rig what I need. How do You obtain what you need? --- Mike
Hi Mike,I get most of my supplies at Hide-Away Sugar Bush on M-37 between Buckley and Mesick Paul and Patti are great to deal with and have very reasonable prices. I have been using plastic 5/16 treesavers for the last 4 years there only 39 cents apiece I cut off most of the tubing connector leave about 1/4 " then hang buckets with a 1 1/4" hole on them.I'm in Harrrietta 1 mile west of the Fish Hatchery. Cant wait to get going tapping this weekend then get to use my new fabricated 2x5 arch.

TC matt
03-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Anything flowing near TC?

Ausable
03-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi Mike,I get most of my supplies at Hide-Away Sugar Bush on M-37 between Buckley and Mesick Paul and Patti are great to deal with and have very reasonable prices. I have been using plastic 5/16 treesavers for the last 4 years there only 39 cents apiece I cut off most of the tubing connector leave about 1/4 " then hang buckets with a 1 1/4" hole on them.I'm in Harrrietta 1 mile west of the Fish Hatchery. Cant wait to get going tapping this weekend then get to use my new fabricated 2x5 arch.

Morning mauisun97 -- Thanks for the information -- Now I wouldn't mine taking a ride over to the Buckley - Mesick area - been a few years. One of my Sons in the Bay City area is collectiong sap for me now - so had to run down and deliver one of his collection barrels to him yesterday. Not much in the way of sap here - still to cold - got about two gallons from 55 trees yesterday - hope it breaks loose soon - getting itchy to do a boil -- thanks again for the info -- Mike

whalems
03-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Mauisun97, Small world, My dad grew up in Harrietta. My grandma still lives there right next to the fire department. Spent a lot of my childhood playing in the woods around those parts. Happy Sugaring, Mike

Ausable
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Hey Mio1 - A question ------ Did Your trees give you a good run yet? I'm still waiting for something to happen - over here in Glennie. My best so far has been 25 gallons in one day - then the Blizzard. Made paths thru the snow today and straightened and cleaned off the lids. Had some frozen sap in a few of them - but - thats about all. Looks nice today - just cold. My Oldest Son has been more then generous with his sap or I'd still be waiting to do my first boil....... Best of Luck ----- Mike

Mio1
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
About the same, was able to get enough sap to make 4 gals of the good stuff

Ausable
03-25-2011, 05:52 PM
About the same, was able to get enough sap to make 4 gals of the good stuff

Glad to hear it - I have about 5 1/2 gals made and a couple more in the pans - but - mostly made with the sap My oldest Son and Grandsons brought up from Bay County. Good Syrup all Dark though. Well hope we get some serious sap before it is over for the year

mauisun97@yahoo.com
03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear it - I have about 5 1/2 gals made and a couple more in the pans - but - mostly made with the sap My oldest Son and Grandsons brought up from Bay County. Good Syrup all Dark though. Well hope we get some serious sap before it is over for the year
Made 7 gals so far,looks good for next week or 2.Last batch I boiled down 80 gals tuesday only made 11 pints due to low sugar content hope that picks up too.

Ausable
03-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Made 7 gals so far,looks good for next week or 2.Last batch I boiled down 80 gals tuesday only made 11 pints due to low sugar content hope that picks up too.

Hey Mauisun Good to hear from You - Glad Your making maple. No Sap to boil - so I did my dishes (finishing pan - stainless pots - and cleaned out evaporator syrup pans) and finished that off - been sitting awhile with nothing to chase it with except water so thought I'd better save it while I can. -- Weather forecast here looks pretty good starting Monday - So maybe start getting some real sap... lets hope ---