PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Pan Divider Problems

warners point
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
So, I am having problems soldering my dividers in my syrup pan. My buddy who made the pans didn't put the tack welds close enough together so when I apply the heat for the solder the pans and dividers warp and pull away from each other. He wants to try putting rivets in the bottom of the pan to hold it together for the solder. I'm not so sure that is a good idea and told him I thought it would leak. Has anyone tried this before? I'm thinking it might just be better to grind all the solder off and take the pan some where to have them weld the dividers in place.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-26-2011, 05:44 AM
I think your last idea was the best! You might have more problems than you think. If you concentrated high heat in one area for a long period of time to solder, the base metal is pretty crispy now. With that said, when you boil down, it may scorch in those areas. Tig a few more tacks and you should be ok.

Good Luck!!!!

Shawn

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-26-2011, 06:03 AM
OK, let me back up a little. What kind of soldering are you doing? The plumber in me is coming out! If you're using a torch that's where the high heat is coming from, or if you're using a soldering iron you should be OK. But even so tigging is the best way to approach this issue.

SeanD
02-26-2011, 06:55 AM
The tacks could get you what you want or you could add a few more tacks if you think they are too far apart, like Shawn said. I spot welded mine and they are every 4 inches or so.

I had a decent brake and an unused pan so they fit pretty flush, but on an older, used pan with known warps in the bottom, those spot welded dividers pulled things up pretty true.

I've never tested the mixing that might be happening between the welds with a dye or anything like that, but I think it is little to none. I'm able to get a gradient and maintain it through the boil.

The simpler route might be the better one for you. Good luck.

Sean (a different one)