PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty Roof Jack

Big_Eddy
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I needed a quick and dirty roof jack for my sugar house. My criteria were that it needed to be able to be made quickly from materials I could find, and it needed to be cheap. As long as it lasts this season and I don't burn anything down, I can replace it later.

I took a 24" section of 8" stove pipe and a 2' square piece of 22 gauge steel.

I cut an ellipse in the steel to coincide with the 56 degree angle of my roof, and slid it over the piece of 8" pipe, then welded it to the plate about half way up.

I then slid my 7" pipe up the center until it was about 3" above the top of the 8" pipe, and mounted a 8" to 7" reducer over it. I continue up with 7" pipe.

The 8" pipe gives me an air gap on both sides of the actual smoke pipe to reduce the heat transferred to the plate and the reducer at the top ties the 2 pipes together and holds it in the center. I would have been better with a 9" pipe for the jack, but 8" is all they had that day.

Looks like it should hold up for this season anyway.

Brian Kloepfer
02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
That should get you buy for the season. Nice work:mrgreen:

tjintheshop
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Great job. I am going to do the same this weekend. Got 26 feet of silo filler pipe and its got a 9 in diameter. Got a two foot section of twelve inch pipe that I am going to do that to and make my own reducer and weld it in. Figure that if I epoxy it all should last a few years.

Thanks for the pics. How does that shear work? Thinking about picking one up from HF tonight.

ennismaple
02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
That looks pretty slick! Good work.

treehugger
01-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I probably ought to get a welder..

lpakiz
01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I would offer another idea here.
Instead of using the reducer, use a storm collar (easily obtained) to keep the device weather-tight.
To center your main pipe inside the outer jack pipe, I drilled 3 (4) holes into the main pipe, then assembled spacers over SS#10 screws and nuts. 1/4 inch nuts or washers work great, or short pieces of 1/8 or 1/4 pipe. Envision the outer spokes like on a ships steering wheel. This gives a space for a column of hot air to rise up and cool the outer pipe. Keep the storm collar up a couple inches to allow hot air to escape. I have a rafter 5 inches from each side of my main pipe, which runs right at 800 degrees. Absolutely no fire hazard, rafter remains cool enough to hold your hand on for any amount of time.