PDA

View Full Version : ATV Sap Hauler - Done!

user587
02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
OK so I've been impatient waiting for the sap to flow, so I decided to borrow the ATV from my generous relative so I can get to the "back woods" to tap another 135 at the generous friend's property. Taking the advice from maple traders, knowing that the paths through the woods are a bit bumpy and tight, I hung a barrel on the ATV rather than using a trailer. Here it is:

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/th_0224111255c.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/?action=view&current=0224111255c.jpg)

Ausable
02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Hey Scott --- Looks like You be ready to collect sap -- nice job -- Mike

802maple
02-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Looks like a good job. Are the front buckets full of sand or are they your gathering buckets. I know my wheeler would be doing great wheel stands with the extra 475 lbs of sap that is hanging off the back as that is a 55 gallon barrel right or is it a 30?

talahi maple products
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Yea, I gotta go with 802 maple on this one. I think you better test drive it with 1/2 full water before you head out to the woods,

lastwoodsman
02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Yep I have a 550 with a atv basket on the back--100lbs of fertilizer in it and the front wheels are light.
Fill that baby up with and and test drive the trails with it.
You might need someones wife to sit on the front of it.
Woodsman

802maple
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't have a tank on my wheeler, but if someones wife wants to ride with me she would be more then welcome. LOL

user587
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
It's a 55 gallon drum. I've been planning to fill it only partially (1/2-2/3?) to reduce sloshing and to avoid it being too heavy - it does hang off the back a bit. The front buckets (planning to fill with sap) may help hopefully. I can add more counterweight to the front if needed.

We'll see how it does...

Brent
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I can't tell from your pix what version you've got but the specs I could find show 90 lbs front and 180 lbs rear.
The 3 buckets on the front should be OK but the capacity on the back would be 30 gallons ... on their rack. I think on your extension you'd be asking for problems at quite a bit less than that. Got any spare springs and shocks yet ?

Big_Eddy
02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Hope you have flat ground - I once took a wild ATV ride down a steep hill being chased by 100gals of sap in a trailer mounted tank. All 4 wheels were locked solid and I was still accelerating.:o

Once bitten, now shy. Take a few test rides before you head out into the ice and slush with a full tank.

cvmaple
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
That would give you a scare you wouldn't soon forget. Glad nothing more than soiled shorts came out of it!!!! cvmaple

user587
03-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Well I've been putting the sap hauler to work (see photo in original post) and it's going pretty well. Full load is 40 gallons: 25 in the barrel, 15 in buckets on the front rack. It's a bit tail-heavy, so I lean forward through the bumpy areas and for any stumps/rocks along the trail.

In the deep snow it's trouble due to the lowered ground clearance. In one small section of heavy, shaded, sloped to-the-north section where there is still 8" of snow, I load 20 gallons (10/10) and it does fine.

Before using it I thought of perhaps making a rack for 6 buckets on the rear rack to keep the weight forward, but the front rack balances it well enough, and sitting forward covers the rough spots. Have transported over 800 gallons in it so far.

ComputerSteve
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
That's an awesome sap hauler you have there. I never would have thought about being chased by a trailer loaded with sap, so the ATV mounted tank makes sense. It sounds like it works out well for you.

I only have 37 taps this yearbut they're spread over four different locations. I'll have to add more trees next year, or dream up a really good excuse for the wife, to get my own sap-hauler.:D

RevDoc
03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
You would not believe just how much sap will shoot out from under a picnic cooler lid, (strapped down), when you hit the bottom of a creek bed, when you mount one on the back of an ATV.

You will also not believe just how cold you will get, in 34 degree weather, snowing, waiting on a train to move from a field crossing, half a mile across a muddy field from warm clothes and hot coffee, with your backside soaked in sap and your pants stuck to the seat of said ATV.

ATV is now sporting a 25 gallon spray tank on the back, featuring a drain valve protected from vegetation and rider inattention, and a milk crate on the front rack to haul tools.

Serious peace of mind.

Might I suggest, your barrel gives your ATV that WW II PT Boat Depth Charge look, which, considering the thin tubing frame most ATV's employ, may prove prophetic, especially if you have reason to believe Murphy's Law might inhabit your sugarbush.

mapleack
03-18-2011, 01:56 PM
especially if you have reason to believe Murphy's Law might inhabit your sugarbush.

RevDoc, EVERY sugarbush is inhabited by Murphy's Law. :)

GramaCindy
03-18-2011, 07:07 PM
You would not believe just how much sap will shoot out from under a picnic cooler lid, (strapped down), when you hit the bottom of a creek bed, when you mount one on the back of an ATV.

You will also not believe just how cold you will get, in 34 degree weather, snowing, waiting on a train to move from a field crossing, half a mile across a muddy field from warm clothes and hot coffee, with your backside soaked in sap and your pants stuck to the seat of said ATV.

ATV is now sporting a 25 gallon spray tank on the back, featuring a drain valve protected from vegetation and rider inattention, and a milk crate on the front rack to haul tools.

Serious peace of mind.

Might I suggest, your barrel gives your ATV that WW II PT Boat Depth Charge look, which, considering the thin tubing frame most ATV's employ, may prove prophetic, especially if you have reason to believe Murphy's Law might inhabit your sugarbush.
RevDoc, after collecting only one lousy gallon on my first collection, I decided that the 5 gallon buckets in an atv trailer were NOT going to work, mud flying everywhere, lid popping off at the most inopportune moment, that I too would get the 27 gallon spray tank mounted on the rear rack of the ATV, concerned about the back weight, and yes, Murphy's law DOES indeed inhabit my sugarbush and just about anywhere else I go!
:o

Maplebrook
03-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I used to haul 37 gallons on the back rack and 13 gallons up front. The trip from bush to camp is approximately 1 1/2 miles. This much weight is hard on the bike. I was putting ball joints and wheel bearings in after each sap season. I now use a trailer. It's cheaper and much safer.

GramaCindy
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Interesting Maplebrook, I will share this with the "one who must be told!" Guess we may need to rethink our sap collecting system.

Big_Eddy
03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's my solution. Pulled by my 855 Deere.

100 Gal tanks. Both trailers were originally dump trailers, but they are now solid to prevent issues.

The GT trailer is always second choice. The tires are narrow and the center of gravity is a bit higher, so it tends to want to tip over on the bumps. We lost 65 gallons one day as a result.

Works for me. I used to back them up onto a ramp beside the blocks and use gravity to feed the pans. Pumping up into a larger tank in my new setup.

crackher
03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
OK so I've been impatient waiting for the sap to flow, so I decided to borrow the ATV from my generous relative so I can get to the "back woods" to tap another 135 at the generous friend's property. Taking the advice from maple traders, knowing that the paths through the woods are a bit bumpy and tight, I hung a barrel on the ATV rather than using a trailer. Here it is:

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/th_0224111255c.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/?action=view&current=0224111255c.jpg)

Now way in God's green earth will that work with any reliability. Too much weight for the ATV (I have a 500 Sporty). too unstable. interesting ideas, great construction. just dont call me to haul sap with that. I have a nice trailer wil large wheels and a wider stance than the atv and still have issues

user587
03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Now way in God's green earth will that work with any reliability. Too much weight for the ATV (I have a 500 Sporty). too unstable. interesting ideas, great construction. just dont call me to haul sap with that. I have a nice trailer wil large wheels and a wider stance than the atv and still have issues

Actually it's been working pretty well for me (see post 11 below also). Photo below shows the ATV on the trailer ready to head home, after filling the truck tank (235 gal tank) and carrying about 35 gallons more on the ATV on the trailer. (normal full load is 40 gallons - 15 on front rack, 25 in rear barrel).

Mind you I don't drive like the Dukes-o-Hazard, and it rides a bit low when loaded but it does not ride on bump stops. We make it over some mild woodsy terrain with a few rocks and small logs without trouble, when driving gently.

But I can see how it could be trouble with steep hills, rough terrain, or free-wheeling driving.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/th_0315111502b.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g478/user587/ATV%20Sap%20Collector/?action=view&current=0315111502b.jpg)

highlandcattle
03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
We have a very large capacity collection tank on our small but rugged trailer. This is hauled by either the Oliver or my little International. We have regular trails from when this was an old homestead, so we stick to those. If snow is too deep Ron uses a plastic sled made for hauling and puts the plastic jugs on and uses the snowmobile. Pic on our website and mapletrader albumn. www.highlandhillssyrup.com