PDA

View Full Version : New to southern Wi

BlackwolfGTZ
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Hello everyone,

I just moved to southern wi and wondering if there are any places to collect sap. I live in Janesville. If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

I have been looking but have not found any info on whether or not tapping can done on public land. Does anyone know if this is legal?

Thanks,

Travis

Rhino
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Dosn't hurt to ask, but i would highly doubt that county or state would let people tap on public forest. They are manageing these lands for timber production and wouldn't want holes in their saw logs. Alot of counties have rules against motorized vehicles to, so it would be a challenge to collect even if they would say go ahead. I would put a ad on Janesville area craigslist and see if any private owner would lease you a chunk to tap on.

C.Wilcox
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Welcome Blackwolf,

Are you a southerner moving north in search of the promised land or a displaced northerner who headed south to find work? Not to discourage you, but I have not had any luck in finding local places to tap by me. I'm just north of Milwaukee a few minutes. I ran ads in Craigslist for quite some time offering a pretty lucrative deal for the landowner if they would allow me to tap their woodlots and no one bit. What I have found better success doing is asking local farmers if I can tap their fencelines. Granted, the trees are not always sugar maple (hence my obsession with box elder) and are often pretty rough looking, but they produce sap and that feeds the addiction. If you try that route I would recommend that you only tap on fencelines near the road because as soon as the field gets muddy it will be difficult to collect and the farmer is likely going to ask you not to drive in it with any sort of equipment.