PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?

Brokermike
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM
In my hopes of bigger and brighter futures I acquired a 20 x 42 antique (70 yr old) post and beam barn frame that had been dissasembled. It is in overall good shape, with a few bumps and bruises and one soft spot from dry rot. Mortise and tenon joinery, unfortunately I can't find all of the pegs. It is softwood, definately NOT Chestnut!

My plans seem to be changing constantly and it now looks like it will be 3-5 years before I would have a chance to build it. Obviously this thing is taking up some serious room in the driveway.

Anyone that has bought something like this care to chime in on what it might be worth? I acquired it as part of a much larger package of goods that I used to build my garage and will use to build an addition to my current home.

peacemaker
02-24-2011, 05:40 PM
what do u need to know

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
There has to be people on the net that are looking for just that wood. Advertise on the national Graigs list. Call a few of the old lumber yards they might cut it up for desks but so what.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Went to reclaimed lumber Vermont and a boat load of them came up. I think you will have great luck selling as a package.

Flat47
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd consider buying it!
Always looking for an excuse to go to Vermont.

jrthe3
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
there was a fella down this way buying old barns for people to turn into houses he was paying 10 dollars a suare foot but that included taring down and cleaning up

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 09:57 PM
So he should be willing to pay $20.00per for picking it up already disassembled and sweeping the driveway:)

Brokermike
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
For $20 per square foot I'd pay to have it trucked to their dooryard!:D

I might just put it on Craigslist and do more research online. Every dollar I get for it stays in the sugaring fund so I want to find that happy medium between giving someone a good deal and getting it out of my yard

Flat47
02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Was it tagged or cataloged when dismantled and a sketch made of how to re-assemble it?

Seriously, I'd consider it.

Brokermike
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
yes every beam is marked and I have a sketch showing the design and beam marks for re-assembly.

I can e-mail it to you if you'd like

BryanEx
02-25-2011, 06:51 PM
For $20 per square foot I'd pay to have it trucked to their dooryard!
I've heard that term three times in my life and still don't know what the heck a "dooryard" is. :confused:

cvmaple
02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
I believe it's interchangeable with front lawn. My father always used the term as if you couldn't make it any more convenient for someone. I'll drop it right on their dooryard. then they could deal with it however they wanted. hope this helps.

Flat47
02-26-2011, 05:28 AM
I thought dooryard was a northern Maine term. I've never heard it used anywhere else.

dgp219
02-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Try the Timber Framers Guild. www.tfguild.org

Dill
02-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Dooryard is the patch of lawn/dirt that leads up to the door that you use.

Ridgeville
03-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I have a 12'x16' give or take timber framed machine shed to take down. Planning on building my sugar shack out of it. Right now it's 3 sides, very good lumber, 4th side is open. It's covered, roof and sides with tin. My problem is finding the time to take it down. I think if I start now, or very soon, I should have it ready to go by next year at this time.

Timber Juice
03-12-2011, 02:49 AM
When the barns were first built the holes in the two parts were offset slightly so when the peg was driven in it would pull the joint tight.
The peg would dry and cure in that multible bend shape and wouldn't fall out.

To remove the pegs from still solid joints the center of the peg is usually drilled out about 1/3rd so it is more flexible and driven and pulled out.
Requires some precision and patience.
Many times the dismantler just bores straight thru and ruins the offset hole alignment.
Either way new pegs are needed.

So not having the original pegs is normal and expected.

Goodluck

crossfire7snopro
03-12-2011, 08:47 AM
how much do you want for it