PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Stainless Steel

forester1
11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I am wondering what is the best way to cut stainless steel about 18 or 20 guage? My snips don't do it straight enough but maybe they are dull and I need a new pair. I have no power but can use a small generator if something like a small power saw is needed. Plasma cutter is out of the question.

syrupmaker
11-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Jerry..... How about a electric shear or nibbler? They cut like sissors or punch little tabs out as they go?

Rick

Maple Flats
11-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Being a retired heating contractor, I have worked stainless several times. The best and easiest way is if you have acess to a shear (usually foot operated) if you need a straight cut. For curves a good pair of snips will work ok but you would want the compound action type and the color of the handle indicates cut right or cut left, in other words cut right means that you can cut straight or curving to the right as you cut and vise versa. Take small bites and do not cut to the full depth of the jaws for a smooth cut. I have also used a nibbler that was air operated but you must proceed slow for a neat cut and the nibbler will try to go faster than you can to get a neat cut on a line you have drawn. By the way, the best lines are made by using a fine point red marker. If you buy the snips they will be labeled left or right. If you find some green handles cutright and red cut left, yellow cut straight and very slight curves. If you find some with the vinyl handle cover missing the curve is away from the upper blade or the downward moving blade. If proper tension is kept on the joint screw snips never need sharpening according to the tin smith who taught me who still used the same snips after over 50 years of working his trade. Most common snips are rated for 22 ga SS but will do 18-20 with extra effort but you will lose some fine control with the extra effort. Good luck

syrupmaker
11-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Mapleflats..... Very interesting on the color of the snips handles. Thats what I like about this forum, always pick something up. The thing is sometimes it costs you more to learn (gotta go and buy the red and green ones now) :wink:

Rick

forester1
11-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys. That's why I like this forum too. My snips are yellow and I was trying to cut on a curve, plus they are not compound. I will try and find a better pair and if that doesn't do it, get some shears. Can't have too many tools.

Parker
11-21-2005, 02:32 AM
What are you making Jerry?? did you get your lot thinned this summer? Lines up??

forester1
11-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm not making anything Parker. I finally got around to cutting holes in my hoods for the stacks. I was having trouble cutting in a circle. Now we got dumped on with 18" of wet snow so I can't drive in anymore so will have to wait until next year. I didn't get my woods thinned so no lines are up. I hope next year for sure or I get a new logger. I still have 2 years until retirement so not a real big deal but the lines are all I need to get done and I can get going.