PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Do Wrong

jmp
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Drilled and set my first taps today. Noticed the trees were wet below several of the taps later in the day. New 7/16 bit and the holes were not oblong. I must have split the wood around the tap correct? What do I do (besides not tap them is so far next time)? Thanks! :)

Potters3
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
You are right, gently tap in spouts, I try to hold my hammer half way up the handle and only use my wrist

kiegscustoms
02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
someone told me that if you pull the tap and wrap it with teflon tape it can help to seal it up. Never tried it myself but might be worth a shot

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Are you drilling at a slight upward angle? I think Teflon would make the tap pop out when the tree freezes.

tjs farm
02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
What kind of spiles are you using.I know I have a lot of old style taps and certain slyle ones leak more than others.Also maybe you are setting just into the outer bark.

KenWP
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Maple tapping seems to be one of the few things that having week wrists is a good thing.

cooleyvillefarm
02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
hey john I'm a fourth yr sugarer and I live in new salem not far from ya. If there"s I can do to help ya stop by my s/s ... take rt9 west to 202 north take your first right in new salem its a dead end rd and i"m at the end look 4 the steam cooleyville rd GARY

red maples
02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
They will be fine. just leave them be and the will stop leaking after a little while. I found that if I use my 10 pound sledge hammer it was a little too much especially if I miss the spout and hit the tree by accident it would take a little bark with it. :lol::rolleyes:

jmp
02-25-2011, 07:54 AM
I believe the spiles are an older style Grimm "high flow". Not exactly sure. Pretty sad :). I did drill at a slight upward angle. I know that it makes no sense to re-tap, so how much volume can I expect to lose with a leaky tap? 55%? 50%? Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

red maples
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
you won't loose much don't sweat it. I get mad at my self if I loose a few drops but then think what is a few drops nothing!!! I have a few leaky ones too the wet spot goes a few inches below the hole. I have a few I know went oval and they don't leak??? they went oval beacuse when I shifted my weight on snow shoes they can drop and inch or 2 I jerked my arm and well... oval hole.

I have 1 thatI know about leaks a little more, wet spot about a foot but that is really not that much sap most will go in the spout!!!