PDA

View Full Version : to birck or not to

rinert
02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I am making a arch out of a oil drum and was wondering if I should brick it or not? I may only use it this year and buy a bigger one next year when my wif lets me build a new surger house.

adk1
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I would do it loosely if nothing else. You will lose alot of heat through the sides if you dont

SeanD
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It couldn't hurt if you have the time. I have brick that spent seasons in two different block arches and are now in my Mason 2x6. You'll put them to use sooner or later.

Sean

Etown Maple Syrup
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I asked the same question a few months ago. I went with temporary bricking so I can remove the weight and move the evaporator. I did not even bother to cut the bricks. There are gaps, but the heat still goes up to the bottom of the pans. Yes the sides are not bricked and it gets hot. I'll fix that next year. I also used an oil tank. Pictures are in "community" under albums. Or I could attach a few pics.

70 Buick
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
i made a barrel evaporator this year and bricked it
take a look at it here

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9753&page=3

seclark
02-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi, I would brick it for sure.My first barrel evaporator was not bricked and I could hardly stand near the thing without burning my legs.plus the 8x10 shack go very hot.I bricked the next one and man what a difference not only in boil time but a lot less heat in the shack.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
You can alway wrap the outside with insulation. Paper free :o Just wire it on. Get the good stuff and cover with the cheap kind.