PDA

View Full Version : mainline anchoring

michiganfarmer2
02-24-2011, 06:04 AM
I have been screwing large lag bolts into trees to anchor one end of my high tensile wire, then the other end goes into a ratchet.

Does anyone els do this, or shouldnt I be screwing lags into maples?

SSFLLC
02-24-2011, 06:22 AM
We use lags on both ends with ratchets on both ends. But never into a maple. If maple is the end of the line we take a long peice of wire go around the tree and put 2x4s against the tree with the wire on the outside of the wood. Run your ratchet off that.

maple flats
02-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Some do but I don't screw lags into any tree. I use a wire around the tree with tubing on it. Then after the season, I release tension on side ties and move the wire loops an inch or 2.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I use screw eyes in the trees. Problem is after about 5 years the tree grows over them. They do make long threaded ones. They are the ones that you can get from an Arborist supply....................WHAT tree surgeons putting big old nasty eye bolts in trees. YUP do it all the time to save a tree. We used them when we cabeled up weak and broken branches. They also make all thread for bolting trunks back together. I will try and use a trash tree like a 36" veneer grade white oak but they all got sold off:o

Balsam Hills
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I use wooden posts anchored in the ground with concrete. On one side of the post, I loop wire around to hold a wire tensioning ratchet that tightens the mainline wire. On the opposite side of the post, I loop wire that hold another tensioner that goes to a screw-in ground anchor. This prevents the post from leaning in the direction of the mainline.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I dont use the rat****s;) I have a streacher that I ancor to the tree with a strap and pull the wire fiddle tight and thru the screw eye and wrap around itself.