PDA

View Full Version : ph testers

sapman
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I know this subject came up recently. I inquired two companies online that sell testers with bulbs, instead of the tissue type, which I had problems with. They both said the bulbs last 6-12, or maybe 18 months. Doesn't matter if it's in use or not. So this isn't a very good solution for us, it seems.

Sounds like litmus papers may be the best alternative? I don't know how to use them, or where to get them.

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Sapman I have to use one for work with the chemistry in the fountain solutions on printing presses. I have had the same one for about 6 years and the only thing I have to do is recalibrate it once in awhile and change batteries. When I get a chance I will look at the make and model and pass it along.
Wow that took forever lol but here is the link to the one I have. http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=040003&ProdCode=HI 96107

sapman
02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
That one looks identical to mine! I tried calibrating it late in the season, and it just kept giving me eroneous figures. It said to pull out some of the tissue and trim it just right. Tried it, (rather difficult) but still no good. Any suggestions?

Thanks

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
No idea. Mine doesnt have any tissue to trim it has an electrode with a bulb on it. There is a screw on top of mine that I need to turn to calibrate it with a solution that Hanna supplies for calibration.

danno
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Tim -

If you decide to go with paper, this is what I just got.

http://www.carolina.com/product/physical+science/chemistry/ph+testing/hydrion+spectral+ph+strips+%28ph+0.0+to+14.0%29%2C +pack+100.do?sortby=ourPicks

With shipping, it was $18 and came w/i a week. I got the 0-14, but they also have a 6-13. I used them when I concentrated last week and they seemed OK, but I really had nothing to compare to.

Oh, I also really liked the XLE's we got. We have to compare notes on those. I didn't really know where to start - I kept the PSI at 300 and was surprised to be concentrating from 2% to 10% on one pass on the 2 4" membranes and if I had squeezed them, they would have gone quite a bit higher. I increased the flow and brought the concentrate down to 8%.

sapman
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow Dan, that's good news on the membranes! Can't wait to see what mine will do! Still have to install and wash it, believe it or not. Just trying to get tapped still. No gusher on the horizon yet I don't think.