PDA

View Full Version : new arch problem

fishman
02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
I was making a 2 x 5 arch like the one Brian K. is making. Somewhere during the welding the top rails warped at the center legs resulting in a high spot at the center of a 4' pan or 1/4" of space at the front of the pan. I don't think that a pan gasket can make up that much space. Any ideas? I'm really bummed as I was just about to start putting in the archboard and bricks.:(

Brian Kloepfer
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
weld up a new frame from the out side edge of your arch upward.

Sugarmaker
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Put some 1/4 inch spacers on both ends or the arch and fill the gap with pan gasket.
Mine was 3/8 low in the center for 10 years before I fixed it. I had some shims at the center keeping the pans level.
Can you un-weld it and bring the center back down?
Unfasten the sides from the frame. Sawsall out a 1/4 inch weld it back together and re attach the sides?
SM

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Using a thicker ceramic blanket would help you make up the difference.

fishman
02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the steel riveted on. Couldn't weld the 20 gauge worth a darn, kept burning thru so I changed midstream and riveted it all together. I think I can put in a few pieces of thinner plate on the rail in the larger gaps then use some thicker gasket in those spots. Ready to start insulating and bricking. I'll post some pics when I'm done.