PDA

View Full Version : NYS Tax ex on Ag builidings

highlandcattle
02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Juat came back from my tax assessors office and filled out the first ever form for our town for maple syrup ag ex. Form RP-483 Application for tax exception on ag and hort. buildings and structures, to be formal. He helped me do it, as it was the first one ever done. Other people also make syrup, they just don't bother with any of this. We're trying for all the help we can to make this work, so one more step. What we paid for construction of the sap house will be converted to lower taxes! Yeah! So NYS people check this out! Soil and Water next on my list. Whatever help they can give in this venture. Things are changing quickly and I'm trying to keep up with everything. Our accountant has us all set up for next year,so much easier now. Anyone else know of something to save taxes on?

Mountain Winds Farm
02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Where did you get form rp483 ?

highlandcattle
02-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Where did you get form rp483 ?At the assesors office. Just call and fill it our, only took a minute. It will save us on our property taxes next year. My friend is also a farmer and pushes for our area to keep it in ag. and no development, so very helpful. Soil and water dept. in you area is a big help too.

Southtowns27
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
We put up a used morton building type pole barn this past fall. We went down to the town hall to get a building permit only to find out we didn't need one since the building is used for storing ag equipment. Also found out that they can't raise our property taxes because of the building either. Sounds good to me!

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Be careful on the building permit issue. In NY that is decided by the locality. In my township no permit is required for an ag building but in a neighboring township it is required.

maple flats
02-27-2011, 06:15 AM
That might be the case in my local. I was told I needed a permit be build the sugarhouse. I will persue it further this summer when I will be adding a kitchen/RO room/bathroom addition. Is the RP483 a form that gets you ag exemption (tax status and lower taxes)? or something else? I now get the Ag assessments for much lower taxes but if this 483 does more I will get that too.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Dave,
I'm not up on form numbers but new ag buildings are exempt for ten years to encourage economic activity.

dnap63
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Just to clarify, In New York State, Ag buildings are exempt from the Building Code of New York, which means that a building permit is not required according to the state law. However a local municipality can pass a law that would require the purchase of a permit but it would still be exempt from inspections since the Ag building does not have to be built to code.

maple flats
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Apparently the city of Oneida does not know this. I asked and was told I needed a permit when I built the sugarhouse. I also had to submit the plans and inspections were done at each stage. They were a pain in the butt. Especially getting the permit in the first place. I was submit my plan to the city and go before the planning board. Then I had to go to a public meeting for comments before the council would even approve it. I started the process in July and the red tape took me until the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week before I was approved to proceed. They have way too much control over ag buildings in my town, likely control they are banned from having by the state. The delay meant I was building in December and Jan except in July and into fall.

dnap63
03-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Dave, I am a NYS Code Officer and it happens all over the state. unless your Town has a local law in place, you should not have needed a permit. If you ever have a problem I would be glad to try and help. There is not much worse than an overzealous zoning or planning Board. I would recomend that if your land is not already in an AG district get it included it will help.

MarkMcQ
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's the forms: http://www.orps.state.ny.us/ref/forms/pdf/rp483.pdf