PDA

View Full Version : Maine maple sunday?

MainelyMaple
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
How do you sign up/register? what is required? What do you guys do for insurance? I assume someone visiting the place and hurting themselves while there is something to worry about? any thoughts, comments, or suggestions for a first timer, we would really like to open up our doors this year. Thanks in advance

tessiersfarm
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
If you are members of Maine Maple Producers you should have gotten sign up info, we did, I think the deadline is past but you could inquire. We have farm general liability so I am not sure about your insurance requirements. Your homeowners may cover a claim but I am sure your insurance would be dropped the next day. The first year we did it we just did word of mouth, no advertising and we got 100 people or more. I would recommend keeping it low key until you find out the responce. My only other suggestion is to run your pans deep while there are a lot of people around and do not plan on boiling to capacity, I just simmer it along for the day, keep a good boil but don't overdo it.

gmcooper
02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Offical signup is Maine Dept of Ag. Judy Blaisdell should be able to help. I do think this year deadline may have passed. Maine Maple has a directory as well. You do need to be licensed with the state for maple syrup production.

As far as having visitors keeping the boil and fire low is important if visitors can get right up to the evaporator. Years ago the guy helping us got firing a bit to hard and I just happened to look at a little girl in a pink snow suit near the arch doors. Her nylon snow suit was just starting to crinkle up from the heat. She was insulated from the heat but the suit was almost toast. I stepped in front of her while telling her dad to move her back. He had no clue she was melting. Close call for sure, no issues from that other than keeping the fire lower from then on. Also mention repeatedly all day to keep hands away from the steam.

Revi
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
We used to do the Maine Maple Sunday, but not lately. It was a little too much for us, and we sell all the syrup we want to during the season anyway.

Lately we have a small crowd show up even without doing Maine Maple Sunday.