PDA

View Full Version : So, I think I screwed up tapping, any ideas?

sugaringcrazy
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
first of all it's my first year and I don't know how badly I screwed up. Today I was tapping and it was quite cold out, almost 32 by the afternoon, and it was after a below zero night. But, on the 26th tap (out of 50), a little sap was flowing, and when I put in the tap it was still trickling, but not through the tap. I stopped tapping immediately, and went to inspect some of my other taps. Only one tap showed any sign of running and that too, was not through the tap. I think part of my problem is I am using a hand auger, and I am worried that it wasn't always going in straight, and the hole ended up being too big. My other concern after visiting some other threads on this web site, are that I was tapping them in too far and cracking the wood because it was too cold. So, now I have 26 buckets in, and I was hoping to finish tomorrow. I don't know if the other taps are leaking or not, but I am scared to continue not knowing whether my operation is screwed. So, can I do anything about the taps that are already in. My guess is some of them will be fine and others will leak. It's probably not ok to redrill, but what do I do. Yeah, I'm a little stressed.

Ausable
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Howdy -- Don't be so hard on Yourself. Using a Brace n Bit is a bit of a challenge. Just make sure your bit is sharp and hold it as steady as possible. Just set your spile so that it is in snug enough to hold a full bucket without pulling out. So - some of the sap runs down the tree - not the end of the world - all part of learning. Wait till You scorch your first pan - now that is upsetting. Hey -- have fun and keep tapping - You will do just fine ----- Mike

highlandcattle
02-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Did you use a bit the right size? It needs to fit the spiel. Pounding too hard will not help either. Just a thought.

Flat47
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
We've all been there. Take tonight to sit, relax, and regroup. It's not the end of the world to have split some tap holes. Tomorrow, check your drill bit size and try again knowing what you learned today: keep a steady hand while drilling, and just tap the spout in.

I used to use a really small hammer when tapping, and when the spout was seated the hammer kinda bounced off of it and made a different sound. I wish I still had that hammer. It worked flawlessly to both feel and hear when the spout was in. Then I used a 16 oz Estwing hammer and I made a mess. It happens and you learn.

So in short - you're not alone and your operation is not screwed.

collinsmapleman2012
02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Howdy -- Don't be so hard on Yourself. Using a Brace n Bit is a bit of a challenge. Just make sure your bit is sharp and hold it as steady as possible. Just set your spile so that it is in snug enough to hold a full bucket without pulling out. So - some of the sap runs down the tree - not the end of the world - all part of learning. Wait till You scorch your first pan - now that is upsetting. Hey -- have fun and keep tapping - You will do just fine ----- Mike

yes, burned mine last sunday:mad:

Sugarmaker
02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Yep we have all done this. Ok most of us:) I sure have.
Most of the sap will still go thru the spile and into the bucket.
We used a brace and bit for years. Wait till it runs and see how the buckets fill up!
Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Your all good. You might loose some sap but you will get the most of it. My grandfather, father and myself all used a brace bit to drill holes up till a few years ago when I went cordless. I tap the first half of the trees by myself and my family does the rest of the tapping now and I just cringe when I go collect sap the first time not knowing how well they do. They are alot better than years past. Only had 6 taps driven in so far that less than half the tap was sticking out the tree. One was in a red maple and it split the tree about 3 feet below the tap and atleast 10 feet above it. I will start the day out with them in a lesson on how to tap yet once again this year. And when the day ends they will all say dont forget to save us a gallon of syrup for helping. Yeah big help thanks guys. lol

Randy Brutkoski
02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
You might of done nothing wrong. I tapped 500 today and the highest the temp. I got was 26 degrees. In the sun the holes were either bleeding or running and some of the holes that were wet did not run when i put a spout in. Because It was so cold this morning, i think the very outside part of the tree through out the day was the only part of the tree to actually thaw a little where maybe the sap couldnt make its way towards the back of the spout. I am probably wrong. I still cant figure out mother nature.

sugaringcrazy
02-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Sweet, thanks for the encouragement! I will go back at it with confidence tomorrow. Oh and 6-10 inches of snow on friday ought to make things interesting!

Randy Brutkoski
02-24-2011, 06:31 AM
What town are you in?

sugaringcrazy
02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Randolph, vt

Randy Brutkoski
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Actually my name is Randall

notacarpenter
02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
what is a brace bit?

Flat47
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
what is a brace bit?

"Brace" is the drill (See pic). "Bit" is the drill bit.

Ausable
02-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Yep -- The Good Old Brace and Bit - Still have several floating around. At my age --- I am very thankful for the invention of the cordless drill -- lol -- Mike

Flat47
02-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Yep -- The Good Old Brace and Bit - Still have several floating around. At my age --- I am very thankful for the invention of the cordless drill -- lol -- Mike

It's the original cordless drill!!!

Seriously, though, battery technology has really come a long ways in a short time, and it's hard to beat a good powerful cordless [electric] drill.

woodbit
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I did the same thing as you when i first started and I pulled the spiles wrapped them with a couple of wraps of electricians tape. no more leaky seepy. since then have learned to drill better with newer technology .. Pops can still keep up with me using brace n bit

sugaringcrazy
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Since my first post, I did get better with the ole brace and bit. Yeah it's not as efficient as the cordless, but I kind of like em. I just wish I had a bigger pan that would allow me to tap more trees!! Next year. I do like the tip of pulling the spile and wrapping it with electric tape for the ones that are leaking. Now we just need the sap to flow. The weatherman keeps lowering the daytime highs, and the trees are following suit.