PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer Readings: Adjustment for lower boiling temp

PapaSmiff
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
If the boiling temperature of water is lower than 212F, how should I adjust my reading of the hydrometer? I test it when it's hot, right out of the finishing pan. The Hot Test line is at 59 Brix and is labeled to test at 211F.

I don't test for temperature since I'm doing the test indoors, in my kitchen, and perform the test immediately. But if the boiling point of water is lower than 212, should I adjust the Brix reading that I use for Finished Syrup?

mapleack
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
The density of syrup doesn't change based on the boiling point of water. As long as you read the hydrometer at 211 for the hot test you're fine. If you were trying to finish syrup by temperature alone, then you'd have to adjust to the boiling point of water.

PapaSmiff
02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Thank you. I was worried that my syrup was coming out too light.

Brent
02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
You'll find it pretty challenging to have you syrup at 211.

Pouring it off into a small diameter stainless test cup and putting in a less than hot hydrometer will really throw off the readings. The Maple Guys, founders of this web site make a test cup with a built in thermometer. You would be surprised how fast the numbers run down.

Anyway, towards the bottom of this page on our site, we have a correction chart for what the hydrometer should say at different temps. Hope it helps.

http://www.duffyslanemaple.ca/Making-syrup/making-syrup.html