PDA

View Full Version : Should Have Been Tapping in Hopkinton

SeanD
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, it's 38 right now and it looks like great runs are lined up for the next week, and I was planning a tapping post for this moment, but I'll have to miss them and the ones after that. On Monday I slipped on some ice and broke my ankle.

I wish I could blame it on some dumb-*** move while shoveling snow from my roof or hanging off my ladder with a nail gun, but I was literally walking empty-handed down a path next to the sugar house. The new snow covered a patch and made it even slicker. It happened so fast, but I saw the season evaporate as soon as I picked up my leg. The next 6-8 weeks are in a cast and on crutches.

This is only place where people understand what it's like to wait all year to sugar. I'm so disappointed. A brand new evaporator will sit idle in its new sugar house for another year. I'll have to live through your experiences here on the trader. Keep those posts coming!

Sean

Paddymountain
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Man, thats rough . couldn't you get someone to tap and haul sap?
Then maybe you could handle boiling and such in the sugarhouse

PapaSmiff
02-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Sean,

If I lived closer, I'd do it for you. But it's about a 75 minute commute each way. Sorry.

Fishgill
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
That sucks. I can't imagine. Do you have any friends or neighbors that could help you out? If you want you can come hang out here if you need a maple fix when the time comes. I'm dying to get things started. I'm all tapped and ready to go.

Wardner in Tewksbury
02-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Does your doctor need a hobby? Just kidding.

Seems like you could work a deal out with some reliable teenager in your neighborhood to set the taps and collect the sap. Try to get a two hour commitment per day when the sap is running. Is there a Boy Scout maple merit badge? Whoever does the work, there needs to be compensation in cash or syrup.

GramaCindy
02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh my gosh….I can't imagine your disappointment, so sorry. I am in a similar situation here in NW WI…ice under a thin layer of snow. I locked myself out of the house today and had to go get my "hide a key" under the woodshed. It was so icy I almost didn't make it. My Mason 2x4 was delivered yesterday and I would be totally bummed if I couldn't use it until next year. BUT WAIT…think of all of the lessons you'll learn VIA US on MT! I will be thinking of you when I step outside and be careful. Sorry:cry:

collinsmapleman2012
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Does your doctor need a hobby? Just kidding.

Seems like you could work a deal out with some reliable teenager in your neighborhood to set the taps and collect the sap. Try to get a two hour commitment per day when the sap is running. Is there a Boy Scout maple merit badge? Whoever does the work, there needs to be compensation in cash or syrup.

i asked my scoutmaster that last year. got a funny look and was told to get my head checked lol. seriously, if there was, id be on it like lightning

SeanD
02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the offers. Unfortunately, my own sap haulers are only 9, 6, and 4 and it's a tough sell for anyone who is not really into doing this. If there wasn't so much snow cover I could get to a handful of trees and coach somebody through the basics, but as it is snowshoes are still a must.

Then again, if anyone in the area has really wanted to jump into this and wants a crash course on sugaring, then I've got everything just about ready to go.

Sean

cvmaple
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Somebody will come to the rescue I hope. Don't give up on 2011 just yet. Let us know how it goes. We feel your pain and wish you a quick recovery.

foursapsyrup1
02-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Oh No!!Such a disappointmnet and unfortunate accident.
I guess the tubing class at fivesaps on Sunday will not be put to the test this year.
Wish you a quick recovery.

SeanD
02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
I had such a great time in your woods Sunday. As soon as I got home I walked the woods started thinking about where to run my laterals. Thanks so much for getting me started. Now I have plenty of time to plan things out.

I'll stop in when you guys are boiling to get my fix. Talk to you soon.

Sean

40to1
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Sean,
Very sorry about the ankle. Rotten luck.

Unfortunately I am buried under 4 projects for work - all due on Tuesday. Last night after I read your post, I was trying to move around the schedule to make some time for you. I would have driven down and at least tapped your trees for you.
If by next weekend you still need help tapping, let me know. March 6 (Sunday) might be doable.

Take care of that ankle....