PDA

View Full Version : Grading Standards Change? When?

Choubacca
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
So I've been calling the USDA all day to figure out when exactly the standards are going to change for grading syrup as I've heard it could happen relatively soon which would defeat the purpose of getting a permanent grading kit. In that case I'm guessing I should just go for a temporary one for now. Does anyone know any other information? Someone wrote here 2013 but the people at USDA said they had no clue. Cheers! :confused:

Homestead Maple
02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Check out this site. Click under news and events for the discussion of the changes to the grading changes. The proposed change is to take place in 2013.

http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/

Choubacca
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Awesome Thanks a lot Homestead. Yeah I got a temporary one that will do until the new permanent grading kit comes out. It seems interesting I've found some links like this one from the international maple institute http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/maple_cards.pdf

and from what I understand they want to do away with the Grade A B C thing and call it golden, amber, dark, and very dark as the color grades. I guess it makes it more about what it is than just calling it a letter, which is cool.

Homestead Maple
02-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Your welcome. I was told by the NH representative to IMSI, that a study was conducted where people from New Jersey were polled about different grades of maple syrup and the people described what they thought the syrup tasted like. So, that is supposedly where the descriptions such as full-bodied and robust came from. The new color designations are what the study says people can identify the different grades.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Will it be more strict. Would more syrup be grade B

ennismaple
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Will it be more strict. Would more syrup be grade B

There will be more syrup classed for table use as darker grades will no longer be classified with names that signify they are inferior.

Homestead Maple
03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
There will be no Grade B under the proposed new classes. The classes proposed will all be Grade A and they are:

Golden Maple Syrup. This would replace Light or Fancy for the most part. Has a light transmittance of 75% or more.

Amber Maple Syrup. This would cover most of the Medium now and some of what is now considered Dark. Has a light transmittance of less than 75% but not less than 50%.

Dark Maple Syrup. This would cover the rest of the Dark and some of what is now B Grade. Has a light transmittance of less than 50% but not less than 25%.

Very Dark Maple Syrup. This would cover the rest of the Grade B. Has a light transmittance of less than 25%. Can be black as long as it tastes good.

These grades are all graded by the amount of light transmittance and intensity flavor. New grading kits or optics will be needed.

All Pure Maple Syrup with objectionable odors and off flavors cannot be graded as Grade A and will be considered commercial.

Kev
03-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Wow you mean the powers that be are going to make a change...and it actually makes sense? how can that be?
Well it seems to make sense to me. is that scary or what. but then i don't know so much, i just think i do sometimes:lol:

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Interesting. Grades look a lot less confusing and more descriptive which should help the consumer. Looks like there will be some additional labeling requirements... i.e. no additives and intensity of flavor. I'm wondering if this also means that those who produce syrup for sale will now have to buy refractometers since grading will be based on light transmittance.

Now if they can only require those gawd awful commercial pancake syrups to include "contains no maple syrup" in big block letters on the label!

Kev
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Interesting. Grades look a lot less confusing and more descriptive which should help the consumer. Looks like there will be some additional labeling requirements... i.e. no additives and intensity of flavor. I'm wondering if this also means that those who produce syrup for sale will now have to buy refractometers since grading will be based on light transmittance.

Now if they can only require those gawd awful commercial pancake syrups to include "contains no maple syrup" in big block letters on the label!
LOL how about it! and the ones that "contains real maple syrup" should have to list how little real maple syrup that actually is. they should read "corn syrup flavored with a small percentage of otherwise useless maple syrup"

Homestead Maple
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
"Now if they can only require those gawd awful commercial pancake syrups to include "contains no maple syrup" in big block letters on the label!"

That's one of the best ideas I heard in awhile, is to have the Feds. require a better description of what these syrups really contain. Maybe you should start a petition that could be given to IMSI to push the regulators in Canada and the US to do more about this.

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I absolutely agree with you but I think the powers that be tend to favor big business. For instance, because high fructose corn syrup has gotten a bad rap lately especially in regards to increasing obesity, the US FDA has been petitioned to allow a name change to corn sugar in labeling. They are seriously considering it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/a-new-name-for-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

I also wonder how in the world some ice cream can ever be labeled fat "free" when cream is basically milk fats. If there's no cream in it then it's simply just not ice cream imho. So much for truth in labeling.

The new maple grading standards do make a little more sense to me but parts of it make me a little nervous especially for small commercial producers. What is meant by no additives? Would that apply to defoamers and filter aids that are commonly used now? It looks good on paper but what will it mean for the little guys and mom and pop producers?

I wonder if VT will be revising their own (higher) standards as they seem to jealously guard the product. I see they even went after McD's and their oatmeal and "maple" which contains NO maple syrup whatsoever. We should all have states that protect the syrup industry like that.

Although I know there are more than a few producers in PA, to the best of my limited knowledge as a hobby syrup producer I don't think PA even has a statewide Maple syrup Association. But I'll look again and shoot off an email to them if I find them.

Dill
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
The way its been explained to me VT is on board with the changes. Now at the NH annual meeting I would say there is a big difference with the Board being on board and all the members being on board.

Homestead Maple
03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Ya, the two NH reps. to IMSI agree with the new grade changes but it was sure evident that the majority of the members at the annual meeting weren't and the out going NH Commissioner of Agriculture doesn't agree with the changes either. If you attended any of the regional meetings the people from the NH Dept. Ag. that checked the hydrometers that people brought in, didn't agree with the changes either.

BryanEx
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
It will be interesting to see how it all lines up. If there are only a couple of State or Provincial hold-outs it will likely go ahead anyway and their own marketing will be affected. If there is dissension across the board it will likely mean the status quo. In the mean time I will run with a temporary grading set until I see what happens. Personally, I hope the new regs go through. ;)
- Bryan

Homestead Maple
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I've thought about the fact that some states may not go along with the new grades and figure that it will make it hard for those states to do business with other states. If the majority of states go with the changes and a few don't, it will mean that there would have to be two or more different types of grade labels printed, probably costing more to make just a few labels to meet some states grading standards. That's just a small instance and there will be bigger ones I can imagine. All considered, if the change isn't uniform, it could cause a number of problems.

brookledge
07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I just read some of the lastest draft of the new grade standards. It is 29 pages. One last oppourtunity for input. I'm assuming the IMSI will then finalize the language this October at Frankenmuth. It is still looking like it will be implemented in Jan. 2013.
So use up your supply of labels and jugs etc. Plus plan on a new grading kit.
I know it is going to be a pain to re educate my customers. I hope the industry does a good campain to help every one through the change
Keith

BryanEx
07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I just read some of the lastest draft of the new grade standards. It is 29 pages.
Is it posted online somewhere or print form only? I would be really interested in reviewing the latest update.

maple flats
10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
My understanding was that the break points between grades will not change, just the name associated with each. It is my understanding that permanent grade sets will still be valid as long as you use the new name. Dr Tim, correct me if I am wrong. Sure hope not, I bought a permanent grade set and would rather not need to throw it away, just rename the grades.
What I read states we will no longer have a grade B, that i think would become A extra dark. From memory, the grades would be Golden, Amber, Dark and extra dark, all table grade, then commercial. I just hope all states and Canada adopt the new grades, that was the real purpose.
This was not something being forced down on un by government, it was from a vote by the members of the North American Maple Syrup Council (or something like that). The next move is for each governmental body to adopt it, since each state and province specifies the syrup grades. Uniformity throughout the maple producing world is the goal.

BryanEx
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
The attached comparison chart was posted by Clan Delaney about a year or so ago but I'm not certain if it's been revised since that time.

DrTimPerkins
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
My understanding was that the break points between grades will not change, just the name associated with each. It is my understanding that permanent grade sets will still be valid as long as you use the new name. Dr Tim, correct me if I am wrong..

Sorry, but that is not correct. There will be two GRADES of syrup. Grade A and Processing Grade.

The breakpoints for light transmittance of the different color CLASSES in Grade A syrup will change. Essentially these are:

75.0-100% Golden Color and Delicate Taste (same as it is now)
50.0-74.9% Amber Color and Rich Taste (change)
25.0-49.9% Dark Color and Robust Taste (change)
0.0-24.9% Very Dark Color and Strong Taste (change)

Therefore a change in both temporary and permanent kits is necessary.

Processing Grade Syrup is any syrup which does not meet Grade A requiresments for flavor, odor, off-flavors, or turbidity (sediment). Processing Grade syrup may not be sold in retail markets.

Greenwich Maple Man
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Sorry, but that is not correct. There will be two GRADES of syrup. Grade A and Processing Grade.

The breakpoints for light transmittance of all the different color CLASSES in Grade A syrup will change. Essentially these are:

75.0-100% Golden Color and Delicate Taste
50.0-74.9% Amber Color and Rich Taste
25.0-49.9% Dark Color and Robust Taste
0.0-24.9% Very Dark Coloir and Strong Taste

Therefore a change in both temporary and permanent kits is necessary.

Processing Grade Syrup is any syrup which does not meet Grade A requiresments for flavor, odor, off-flavors, or turbidity (sediment). Processing Grade syrup may not be sold in retail markets.

I would asume that "Grade A" will basicaly be light to grade B. Then comercial will be processing syrup. Is that correct?

lew
10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
What are the light transmittance levels now of the current grading system?

BryanEx
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
lew... check out my last post on page 2.

lew
10-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks. Somehow I thought I had read all of that page.

tuckermtn
10-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I am looking at making some new all-in-one labels (name and grade on them) and don't want to make a big run of them and use the old labeling system. I know its going to take some adjustment on the consumer's part, but when can I make the shift to the new grading standards? Could I do it now?

DrTimPerkins
10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
I would asume that "Grade A" will basicaly be light to grade B. Then comercial will be processing syrup. Is that correct?

There is no "Grade B" in the new scheme. All syrup is either "Grade A" or "Processing Grade".

Greenwich Maple Man
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
There is no "Grade B" in the new scheme. All syrup is either "Grade A" or "Processing Grade".

Right, Grades light through B, will be Grade A and then comercial will be processing syrup. I wonder how many buyers will want a jug of "Grade A" that is "lighter syrup".:):)

red maples
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
I am looking at making some new all-in-one labels (name and grade on them) and don't want to make a big run of them and use the old labeling system. I know its going to take some adjustment on the consumer's part, but when can I make the shift to the new grading standards? Could I do it now?

Thats a good question.

from what I have read they are still getting grading kits together etc. As for the colors themselves I do believe the colors are somewhat different from what they are now. don't know the exact color cut off. and 2013 season is the offical timeline (for right now)to kick off the new system although there will be a carry over period for 2012 syrup.

I think the biggest challenges will be for the bigger producers and distributors, It is going to be very confusing and tough to store the different grades of syrup until all the old stock is used up!!!

Greenwich Maple Man
10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
If you have old stock could you not just call it "Grade A" if it so qualifys?

red maples
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
No there are still 4 subcatagories to the grade A catagory similar to what we have now with the light amber med amber etc. but don't remember what they are. They have names that are I guess more recognizable to the general public so it still has to be graded accordingto color with no bottom end color to the darkest grade as long as it doesn't have off flavors. Same as NH does now. Our Grade B doesn't have a bottom end color unlike I believe VT does have a limit to Grade B even if it doesn't have off flavors which doesn't make much sence to me!!!