PDA

View Full Version : Insulating sap storage container?

Eric in Kinburn
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi,

In order to keep the sap cold has anyone insulated their storage containers? I have a 250 gallon IBC cage tote and I was wondering if adding 2" thick foam boards around it would help. Not sure how I would do that yet, but it crossed my mine recently. Glue the foam to wood/plywood boards and box the container in maybe?. Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Cheers,
Eric

adk1
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
test it out for us and let us know how it works!

Poursap
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I pack snow around my storage barrels and then put wood chips on top of the packed snow. This keeps any sun off the snow and really prolongs your outdoor cooling time. I had snow around my barrels until mid- June.

adk1
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
my tank will be elevated so that wont be possible really. good idea though:rolleyes:

xyz5150
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I cut a piece of osb in half. i screwed a 2x4 on each end screwed them together put one half on the west side one on the south side and one on top of my tote to keep the sun off.

Eric in Kinburn
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Same here, my container will be elevated so can't easily surround it with snow. Another idea I though about would be to use pink insulation. But that would require a rain proof box/cover to prevent the insulation from getting wet. I think I'll try the 2" thick foam board idea one day.

Cheers,
Eric

BryanEx
02-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Eric... my sap storage is inside a wood box with a lift lid similar to a "deck storage box" only larger. I've insulated it and early in the season I add snow to it around the tank. Later in the season I add ice made in my deep freeze and it really helps to keep sap for my weekend "shows".

adk1
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Same here, my container will be elevated so can't easily surround it with snow. Another idea I though about would be to use pink insulation. But that would require a rain proof box/cover to prevent the insulation from getting wet. I think I'll try the 2" thick foam board idea one day.

Cheers,
Eric

I guess maybe a box around the tank that is elevated and just keep shoveling snow inbetween might work

Beweller
02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Sure it works. And the bigger the tank the better it works. Smaller surface to volume ratio.

But it depends on how full the tank is. And while you are at it, why not use 4 inch thick board. And yes, fiber glass insulation works but you must keep it dry.

If you build an oversize box around the tank, you can fill the box with vermiculite, stryofoam beads, or other granular insulating materials..

An important factor, increasingly important as your insulation improves, is controlling heat leakage through penetrations--pipes and especially structural supports.

Eric in Kinburn
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while and I finally took some pictures of my insulated 275 gallons tote setup. It seems to keep the sap nice and cool and certainly out of the sun.

Cheers,
Eric

BryanEx
03-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Eric... how do you get sap into the tank with it raised? I would like a raised tank but don't want to have to pump to fill it.

Eric in Kinburn
03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
BrianEx,

As you can see in the 2nd picture I climb on the platform and pour my 10 gallon pails in it. I only have 50 buckets this year so this is very manageable.

Cheers,
Eric

CBOYER
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
For me this year, i must insulate sap feed tanks to prevent freezing. we have temps around -15 every night since last week.

PerryW
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Insulated tanks are a good idea. My 600 gallon milk tank comes with built in insulation and helps for both abnormally hot weather and abnormally cold weather.

Eric in Kinburn
03-25-2011, 07:38 AM
It's been a very cold spring so far here and earlier this week in the morning I had a hard time getting sap out from the tank since it was almost frozen. I'm thinking of buying either a heated cord that I can wrap around my feeding tube or a small heating element that I can dunk in the tank or both. Does any one have any experience with this type of method to prevent freezing?

Once the sun is out I'm usually fine, but on cold mornings it's a little tricky.

Cheers,
Eric

PerryW
03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
I sometimes lightly wave a propane torch around the tank valve. Or light a piece of birchbark if I forgot the torch. If you have power, an incandescent clip light pointed at the tank valve (just don't touch the plastic directly with the bulb, keep it an inch away)

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-25-2011, 08:05 AM
my tank is an insulated bulk milk tank. it isnt any different than the poly tanks i use. The sap is usually same tempurature. Just get rid of it fast.

CBOYER
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
My cabane is in the wood, 1500 ft from home, no current. I will change plastic valves and piping from feed tank to copper to could gently heat with propane torch when frozen.....always something to do:rolleyes: