PDA

View Full Version : Wine Hydrometer Question....

butler
02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Is a wine hydrometer the same as a syrup hydrometer and if not can you use a wine hydrometer to test syrup?

Gary R
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
No, syrup has more sugar in it than must (wine before the yeast) Syrup is about 66.7% sugar. Brix is still used to measure both. Many syrup hydrometers also have at hot test and a cold test line.

SeanD
02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
But you can use it for sap. I have a triple-scale hydrometer that I used to use for beer that has a low enough range for sap.

Sean

Gary R
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
My triple scale for wine is calibrated at 60F. Both my short and long stem sap hydrometers are calibrated at 38F. In either case, you need to make adjustments depending on temperature.

Ausable
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Is a wine hydrometer the same as a syrup hydrometer and if not can you use a wine hydrometer to test syrup?

The other two Gents answered your question - but - thought I'd add that if you have a syrup and a wine hydrometer side by side - you will notice that the syrup hydrometer is more heavily weighted at the bottom. I think if you placed a wine hydrometer in finished maple syrup it would flop over on its side and not sink --- Mike

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
NAPA has anti freeze hydrometers why not give that a try they have little colored balls so the kids can play with it too:evil: REALLY I dont mean to be such a D^&*%^K but this is maple syrup NOT wine or beer If you cant afford the $17.00 buy it and send me the bill Ill pick up the tab:emb:

70 Buick
02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
NAPA has anti freeze hydrometers why not give that a try they have little colored balls so the kids can play with it too:evil: REALLY I dont mean to be such a D^&*%^K but this is maple syrup NOT wine or beer If you cant afford the $17.00 buy it and send me the bill Ill pick up the tab:emb:

LOL this should be good

Post your address we will all take you up on it

KenWP
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
If you put the two beside each other the scales ar not even close.We can buy a syrup hydrometer here for $11 bucks and the wine store wants twice that for one.For some reason the sap ones are $6 bucks more because they are longer I guess.

Greg Morin
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I put off the hydrommeter thing too long but last year had one wow I cant imagine not having one no more guesswork

3rdgen.maple
02-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Ahh hell with it Haynes hope you dont mind but I overnighted a my syrup containers and Bascoms is sending the bill to you. Thanks Buddy you are the best. lol For real I do understand where Haynes is coming from. It is suprising how many threads come up with ways around spending 20 bucks. And different ways to use different things like diapers to use in the process of making maple syrup. It is expensive for a hobbyist to do for sure but in order to do it right you must purchase the right products or expect an inferior product.

Gary R
02-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Haynes, aren't you a little rough on these guy's. It was only a few years ago and I didn't know any of these answers. Learned it all from the fine members of the Mapletrader. Are you going to make it to Wisconsin this year?

maplwrks
02-24-2011, 06:06 AM
I use a wine hydrometer to test my RO concentrate. I am too cheap to buy a refractometer. (I want a lot of other sugaring toys I feel are more important) The wine hydrometer allows me to check concentrate that is over 10% accurately and is very inexpensive.

butler
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
thanks for all the responses guys..guess I better go with a syrup hydrometer. I know you guys think hydrometers are cheap..but where I live the local hardware store wants $40 for a syrup hydrometer and the local wine store wants $7.50 so thought I would ask.

Maybe the best way to go is to buy the acu-cup with a hydrometer and just order them from the mapleguys...

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Gary Yea I guess I do get to going and forget I was one of the dumbest thing with a brace and bit out in the woods. I also waited about a few weeks before I posting my first thread. I did start off running before I grabbed the rail of the train so I didnt pull my arms off. I will be going this year for sure. I did get a lap top so I will be breathing down all your necks. Yup it was free and the neighbor came and fixed it up real nice. I will have to drive 11 miles to Micky Ds for internet.but hey its cheap.