PDA

View Full Version : Racing,hunting, knitting or crocheting

802maple
02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
What are your other hobbies besides mapleing?

I am into working on stockcars from entry level 4 cylinders to dirt modifieds and asphalt latemodels. I used to race snowmobiles, play softball,basketball and anyother sport I could be equally as bad in. And of course huntin' and fishin'

peacemaker
02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
well lets see huntin fishin gardening taking short walks in the woods with a pack on my back u know short like 2160 miles and even know woodworking what i do for money i love to just walk in the shop and grab some wood and make a piece of furniture with no plans ...and raising animals oh and i sew and cook

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Supermodified racing enthusiest, flyfishing, bowhunting, birdhunting, woodworking. Those are the major ones and then there are the a bunch of little things that keep me busy.

adk1
02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Hunting is #1 for me hands down, Deer with Bow, muzzeloader and rifle. Spring turkey..Fishing via boat, boating in general, camping anything outdoors.

Maplewalnut
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Spring-sugaring, Summer-kids travel baseball, Fall-hunting, winter-snowmobiling

Dill
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Haying is my big "hobby" well that and cutting firewood. I do still hunt, I spend at least 4 days out at beer camp in Swan Lake NY every thanksgiving. And bass fishing out of the kayak up at winni in the summer.
Oh and the his and her FXRs in the garage. Her's is an 88 FXLR lowrider custom, mine is a 92 FXRSC souped up quite a bit.

Paddymountain
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
A job is something to keep you occupied between hunting and fishing season!!!

Russell Lampron
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I ride my Harley, 2006 FLHTCUI Electraglide Ultra Classic, to the tune of about 6000 miles a year. I also like to go camping in my travel trailer. Too many wet vacations to enjoy that tenting stuff.

I also cut a lot of firewood to keep my outdoor furnace and evaporator happy but that is more like a chore than a hobby.

Tweegs
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Woodworking, fly fishing, bird hunting, sailing, and we raise chickens.

Going to start a restoration project on a 1950 Ford 8N soon, she looks old and tired but runs great…Kind of like my wife (I didn’t really say that out loud, did I?) :lol:

HAHA I 1
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I work on muscle cars. I have 4 Chevy IIs and a Corvette. I also listen to a lot of music, like to shoot guns with my kids, and work on the house/landscape. My kids are also very active in several sports, so I stay busy with that. Also working on an MBA.

collinsmapleman2012
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
just about anything that will keep me out of trouble. hmmm. well, maybe i should leave it at just about anything:D

GramaCindy
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Geocaching! as, get this….GramaCindy!;)

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Well pretty much anything with wheels and guns. I started at 5 or 6 years old going to Daytona, Atlanta and Alabama Nascar races, my Uncle was VP of daily operations in the late 70's and early 80's. He started out being a tech inspector back in the early 60's. Then came teenage years got into street racing and legal drags racing at Firebird International Raceway and Speedworld. Started doing body work on road trash and moved into street rods and European cars. In process of doing my 73 heavy chevy, just had a 383 stroker built and dyno'd at 443HP 461LB torque.
My brother was on Billy Boats Sprint car team and later his Indy Car team for like 5 years.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Picture190.jpg thats my bro on rt side of car walking towards the back
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Picture084.jpghe has the starter in his hand in this pic.

another hobby
[
did I mention brewing my own beer
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/jul2004.jpg

More pics to come with drag cars and pic of cars that ended up in magazines

Ok trying something else lets see if it works, if it does this is a 67 chevelle being modified so it will be legal to go 7.90's in 1/4 mile. Motor moved back 16", and I stretched the wheel wells to get bigger tires under it
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/67%20Chevelle/

ok heres my motor pull, if it works
http://www.facebook.com/v/107107652690011
Chad Boats Busch car I did the body work on
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Chad%20Boat%20Busch%20car/
]

Dennis H.
02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Geocaching, Man that was fun haven't had time to do that in about 5 years. The daughter is 5 years old;)

I have a lot of interests but since the daughter was born 5 years ago and then starting this sugar'in thing everything else has been put on the back burner.
But I did do so Autocrossing and track events in a 92 Ford Mustang. Hiking. Dabble a little in astronomy.

802maple
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Flatlander, now that is a tall glass of beer. LOL

CBOYER
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
ice fishing, atv riding, huntig moose and fishing trout at cabin north of 50, Bow hunting deer at home land, home renovating, home renovating, home renovating, did i say home reno???

highlandcattle
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
My husband hunts on our property(he has so many rules that nothing is ever shot), he's a great sportsman and outdoorsman. So he gets lots of exercise and is out of my way. He also knows that I enjoy all our wildlife and and if he ever comes back with anything I'll go nuts on him! So his "real" hunting days are long over. Works fine for us, I buy him nice equipment, he walks around with it and my animals have their own personal guard. My motto is "arm the deer". He also helps with our new organic raised beds,that he built, strawberries,horseradish and rhubarb. I like my gardens that I experment with.photograhing our wildlife and farm animals and the landscape, reading. taking the dogs for walks in the fields and woods.I do animal rescue,canning. Basically homesteading, survivalist type mode as we're also off grid Our kids are grown and scattered and the grandkids aren't really interested, so we have many things to keep us busy. Our big new set up will be this years excitement. oh, yeah, we did sustainable logging to thin the sapbush and open it up for wildlife(helpful forestry agent) so free firewood and building material, along with enough to build our solar home that we designed, not bad for a couple of seniors with no previous experience. Happy mapling!

BryanEx
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Well... I run a hobby farm which as named, is my hobby but during rainy weekends and most of the winter I'm a computer geek. My goal this year is to buy a cutter (horse drawn sleigh) and restore it to new condition for Christmas Eve sleigh rides. What can I say? I'm odd... :rolleyes:

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
ok people some one needs to schol me in putting link to photobucket on a thread with out giving access to my account, I'm dumbfounded

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Flatlander I dont know how you did it but you made the page so big with them pictures I have to scroll from side to side to see them. Suddenly Im thirsty and dont know why.:D

foursapssyrup
02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
seems we all have a lot in common!!

i'm the same as most. hunting, fishing, chainsaw milling (recent addition), dabbled in some home brewing, and, my favorite, working on my old 82 chevy k-10. slowly re-building it/ modifying it into a rugged DD/woods truck.

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Picture says it all.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
ok think I fig out, more links published on original post

Gravel
02-24-2011, 06:07 AM
I also hunt and Race Late Model at Thunder Road!

Tweegs
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Here’s a couple of clips from last years sailing adventures:

Heavy air day (high winds)

http://www.youtube.com/user/memelissa2

Last sail of the season, light air day (light winds) and putting her up on the hard for the winter. That’s me at the helm in the opening.

Warning: This clip is set to music, some of the language is PG-13 or better, but not quite R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kFnTo90kA0

802maple
02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I was wondering if that was you, Mr. Gravel. Do you get Beetle to help you?
I also hunt and Race Late Model at Thunder Road!

jrthe3
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
working on dirt e-mod and dirt late model race team just got back from the sun shine state for my yearly racen vacation really more work then relaxing but i love every minute i really miss driven but love working on the cars where any other of you racers down to FL for winter nationals

wdchuck
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Gravel- Recognized the car before even looking at your name. I know your Father- worked under him at Cabot way back when as a college student, and I see him on his lunch time walk fairly often as I live right in the village....

As for me, it's sugaring (the hobby I can no longer afford to give up), vintage snowmobile racing(consistent 4th place finishes, just enough to keep me going back in search of that elusive first trophy!), Home brewing, Boston Red Sox, gardening, and whatever my six year old is into at the time......

steve J
02-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Well actually my love for hunting lead me to making syrup I had a brain hemorage in 2000 I made a promise to myself if I got out of hospital in one piece and could walk I was buying a chunk of land for hunting 6 mths later bought the land and 6 months after that I built a log cabin with my son. Then I started looking around more closely and said I think I will try making syruo so here I am. I also fish and Peacemaker I also hunt down near you in West Arlington Near the covered bridge over the Battenkill a friend of mine has 220 acres there.

Fishgill
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I live for fishing and now sugaring. I Love to fish Lake Ontario. I also do alot of ocean fishing for ground fish as well as Tuna & Sharks. In the fall of 09 I filled in as a mate for a Captain friend of mine onboard the Relentless out of Marshfield MA. Last year I worked as the first mate for the entire season. And I'm gonna do it again this season.
I also raise chickens and sell the eggs. And I also like to Deer hunt with Bow and Muzzleloader.

KenWP
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I raise chickens to throw away the eggs as nobody will even take them free around here. I garden and fish some also. My major hobby is reading.
I spent over 30 years going to lodge meetings several times a week and tired of it finally so am taking a break for a while.Dosn't help that they are in 2 languages around here either.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Well... I run a hobby farm which as named, is my hobby but during rainy weekends and most of the winter I'm a computer geek. My goal this year is to buy a cutter (horse drawn sleigh) and restore it to new condition for Christmas Eve sleigh rides. What can I say? I'm odd... :rolleyes:

My boss has old snow sleigh with a top on it his GGgrandparents used to do there business in the winter. There really cool maybe I can get a pic and post.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I didn't mention I like four wheelin and jumpin jeeps:o
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/scan0001-1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/scan0001.jpg
My buddies kid is with us this day, his father was in Iraq so keeping the kid busy

BryanEx
02-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I didn't mention I like four wheelin and jumpin jeeps
Hmmm... doesn't look like a CJ to me. You did say "Jeep", right? :D

Revi
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I do woodblock prints and have an art studio in the summer on Swan's Island when I'm not maple sugaring. I also collect and sell antiques.

Here's a web album of my studio:

http://www.msad54.org/sahs/appliedarts/artlofving/IL/PortWebIL/StudiioAlbum/StudiioAlbum.html

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Hmmm... doesn't look like a CJ to me. You did say "Jeep", right? :D

ROFL yea it's one of those fake jeeps.

Indiana-Jones
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm very lucky, my wife likes to go camping. We have a ole pop up camper that pulls easy and sets up quick. We take 3 or 4 short trips a year. This goes great with hiking and the fact that we can take the dogs with us.

And I can't believe that I'm the only gold prospector on the maple board!!

We like to go gold panning, rock hounding, hiking and really enjoy the out doors.
Been a member of the Gold Prospectors Association of America for 6 or more years

When I was younger and lived in town I was ate up on hunting, all ways looking for good ground to hunt. Twenty years ago bought a great place in the country to camp, drink and shoot guns, wonderful. Then we built a house, now the place is home and we gotta go some place else to camp.

wnybassman
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/5-24-2010_boat.jpg

http://wnybass.com/aboutme/records/12.38_erie.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/Silver%20Lake/5-26-2010_nevan.jpg

http://wnybass.com/miscphotos/trap.jpg

fishman
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Deer hunt with gun, bow and muzzleloader. Goose and duck hunt. Some partridge and rabbit hunting when I get the chance. Gotta get some predator hunting in also - don't want the coyotes peeing in my buckets:lol: Oh - I guess I do some fishing also, hence the name. Mostly walleyes, salmon, bass, bluegills, steelhead, and MUSKIES. Canada trips to fish walleyes and flyfish for pike. Also cross country ski race and play basketball down at the high school gym. Getting a little old for that now. Quit softball 2 years ago. Gotta retire so I can have more time for these things.
Oh 2 - work on keeping the wife happy.

adk1
02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/5-24-2010_boat.jpg

http://wnybass.com/aboutme/records/12.38_erie.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/Silver%20Lake/5-26-2010_nevan.jpg

http://wnybass.com/miscphotos/trap.jpg

Looks like the pics say it all for you. Nice Ranger and nice to see one without a Merc on the back! Nice smalleys too.

lakeview maple
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Well I like nothing more than to watch the sun rise from a good tree stand ,or to see the trout rising on a good caddis hatch on a couple of streams here in the ADKS,working in my gardens tho thats it for me ,planting and watching everything take off and grow is awesome,and the more I can spend it with my family the better. Im a fly fishing nut and thank God so is my wife which makes buying all the goodies even easier,lol,Ill have to split my time now tying flies with hanging out in the sugar house,but I know it will all be worth it,God bless and may your sugar be high.

wegnerwelding
02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I've taken up mountain biking a few years ago, and try to make it out to a race or two a year. This year hoping to make the lottery pick for the Fat Tire 40 in the Chequamegon forest.

Hunting waterfowl, during the fall. Just took up Coyote hunting with my custom built AR-15. Been making custom motorcycles, restored a few older Chevy trucks, '49 and '72. Now bought a diesel VW and thinking of some biodiesel.

I really enjoy making stuff in the shop, its my relaxing time. Just something about creating something from raw material is very satisfying to me.

Z/MAN
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Love snowmobiling but it overlaps the sugar season.Follow NHRA Drag Racing and like boating and RV camping.

Kev
02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
I like to race boats and roast coffee too

3rdgen.maple
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks like the pics say it all for you. Nice Ranger and nice to see one without a Merc on the back! Nice smalleys too.

AHHHH I remember those days very well except it was walleye for me. Had an absolutely beautiful Ranger 690 pro v. It is the walleye series of ranger with a deeper hull. Metalic blue all raised lettering on the outside top of the line electronics for back in the day and yes ADK1 a merc on the back. No choice though Merc was a sponsor. Miss fishing the PWT for sure but man you go in debt real quick and alot of time on the road hard to make more money than your spending when your not home. Had some really good finishing spots and when I got a second place once I decided to take the 50k and pay back my fishing debt and called it good. I think I had tears in my eyes the day I sold her. It was a good thing too cause the following year I would have traded up the 175hp merc for the new 200 and then the 250. That sport is worse than maple lol. Ranger has a great warranty to boot. I remember being on Lake Ontario in some nasty stuff and while gunning to a new location I managed to crack the molded sea bracket that holds the outboard almost completey off the transom. Ranger replaced the whole hull, carpet and all for nothing. My partner and I pounded that boat hard. One tournament I was skipping across the top of waves and hit one wrong and busted the cowl right of the motor. The no fear days lol.

Jim Schumacher
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Pretty cool thread. I go Hot Air Ballooning during all four seasons, love Kayaking, traveling, bluegill fishing once in a while. LOVE cutting firewood. Not even sure who was in the superbowl this year...

3rdgen.maple
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Superbowl? It happened already?

Gravel
03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
You cant get Beetle in out of Barre he would get lost!!

I was wondering if that was you, Mr. Gravel. Do you get Beetle to help you?

802maple
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
You cant get Beetle in out of Barre he would get lost!!

Thats true, probably that is why he races, as long as he doesn't spin and keeps turning left he will end up where he started and not get lost.

heus
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Riding my 2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide classsic to Angliers, Quebec every summer to fish for walleyes
Hunting
Fishing
Cutting Firewood
Football and basketball coach. Former head high school football coach
Attending my kids sporting events

Revi
03-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Another thing I do is build and drive electric cars. Here's the site with the car we built a couple of years ago. Ours is the green one with the pickup back:

http://www.sunnev.com/

Farmboy
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I hunt, ride quads, cut and sell firewood, turn bowls and pens on my lathe and other general woodworking, raise a large garden, and raise dairy goats as my 4-H project.

Gravel
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
I am sure that is it. This is great we are busting on Beetle and he has no idea!

Thats true, probably that is why he races, as long as he doesn't spin and keeps turning left he will end up where he started and not get lost.

802maple
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
We can bust on him at the track too. Are you just running at the road or are you taking in some tour races also?

Gravel
03-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Just the road, very small budget so thats what works! Yes I also bust on him at the track

802maple
03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
As we are on both of the racing sites (VLF and OG) I know you bust on him there too. I work on one of the SS cars and we bought his former Tiger car and raced that until it got destroyed, so I know him very well. I worked with Todd Stone while he raced in ACT and for a while back in his DIRT mod, but dirt racing just wasn't for me. I know what it is to race with a limited budget, that is why we are back down in the Streets. It was good to see you back on the track, so many have had to bag it the last few years due to the economy. Some it was for the better, but there were some drivers that it was to bad they had to give up.

Bucket Head
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I have quite a few other hobbies, but the biggest non-maple one would be my Model T Ford's. I have a 1920 and '22 on the road and a '24 "project car". If I can find some spare time, and some spare money..., I'll get that one streetable too. I have a blast with them during the summer months.

I spent the summer rounding up some bulk tanks and I figured the photo below would be a neat way to combine the two hobbies, sort of, lol. And I guess I had better include the standard disclaimer we all know; Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt.

Steve

(Just so everyone knows, I put the tanks there with the tractor and then backed the '20 up to them. No antique cars were damaged or destroyed during this photo shoot, lol!)

Bill'sSugarShack
03-06-2011, 03:24 AM
In off season I/we keep busy with GWRRA stuff (Gold Wing Road Riders Asst) and Antique tractor pulls. Have what was my grandfather's 1940 John Deere "B".

Gravel
03-14-2011, 06:47 AM
So 802 maple, you are Garry?

802maple
03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Nope, I'm not Garry. I'm his wrench turner. The idiot that works on his car so that he can watch you guys. LOL

Gravel
03-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Without you guys us drivers wouldnt be lucky enough to race them!