PDA

View Full Version : Trouble making cream

blaircountysugarin85
02-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I tried to make maple cream last night and it didn't work out too well. Boiled 2 cups light amber to 232 degrees then put the pot in an ice bath until 140 degrees. I then mixed with a wooden spoon for 12 minutes. This is the way the recipe I found went but it was by no means spreadable. I am looking for something that can be spread on bread or toast like the consistancy of peanut butter. Not to mention the stuff was near impossible to mix for 12 minutes just gets too hard to stir. I jarred it and it melts on hot toast but is the consistancy of soft maple candy or really hard fudgee. Any help will be appreciated I would like to use the kitchenaid if I can.

maple marc
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Blair,

You are stirring your syrup at way too high a temperature. It needs to be 70 degrees or so. Don't even bump it until it gets that low. This is important to create very fine crystals. You simply created large crystals which are good for candies.

Also, did you test your syrup for invert? That's very important. Often, early syrup doesn't have enough invert. See Cornell material for details on testing.

Marc

sapbrush
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
well its easy to make take one cup of syrup and a stick and a half of butter heat the syrup tp 234 degress add the stick and a half of butter in then stir with a beater for about 4 to 5 mins refrigerate and done it comes out great and very simpel to do jim

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-23-2011, 05:04 AM
You guys are talking 2 different products here.