PDA

View Full Version : Yet another small question for a maple newbee

SugarSquirrel
02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I am currently outside boiling, and have a question, I sweetened my pan last night, and have continued to boil it to maple syrup. I have been eagerly awaiting to get my syrup, and it seems like its not getting to get there. My finishing pan is at a full boil, and its not doing anything. Does this mean anything? also, how close will the syrup be when it will read on a hydrometer? :confused:Thank you very much.

Sugarsquirrel

RipTyd
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I used a thermometer to tell how close i was to syrup , If you have a candy thermometer it should do , when temp is 7.5 degrees above the point of boiling water it should be syrup. approximatly 219deg f . With that said check your temp and as you get closer to the 219deg start checking with hydrometer. Good luck.

Got It Bad
02-22-2011, 08:58 PM
with a steady fire you have some time the hydrometer hits the bottom with a thud give it some time and it will start to bounce then start checking often and it will slowly start popping up good luck

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Now if you have a hole in the pan you will never get to syrup:o Scared you...........IT TAKES TIME. Remember that 40-1 ratio? Do you have steam coming out then your condensing. If you have only boiled 20 gallons and you have 5 gallons in the pan then do the math. There is a big differance between o and 7 points.

michiganfarmer2
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
with a steady fire you have some time the hydrometer hits the bottom with a thud give it some time and it will start to bounce then start checking often and it will slowly start popping up good luck

Ive been told ot be carefull about lettign the hydromoeter bounce on the bottom. The paper scale inside the glass isnt glued very well, and can break loose then the hydrometer inst accurate anymore

Got It Bad
02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I guess that was a bit extreme what I should of said as you gently set it in it just sinks hard and for the bounce it starts to get light on the bottom and sort of pops up and down and as you get closer it floats up

danno
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Dropping the hydro in the cup will also break the glass ball at the bottom. Been there, done that ...

KenWP
02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
The first sign you are near syrup is when it starts to run along the edge of your spoon or ladle instead of pouring off like water. Then you know it is time to start with the hydrometer to get to syrup. Seems like it takes for ever but you do get there.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
In Wisconsin we stick our finger in the finish pan and taste it if we cant shake it off as its burning its getting close. But really if you keep an eye on the bubbles you can see whats happening..Big and shinny candy, small and all the same size looks good, foamy keep going, you can see the bottom of the pan dont even check it.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
SugarSquirrel,
I want to know how your syrup came out??
Chris

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Haynes, How's the finger at the end of the season????

SugarSquirrel
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
sugarmaker,
My syrup did come out GREAT! :) I made fancy syrup, and have been bragging since it is my first batch of syrup EVER! Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 09:22 PM
congrats...hey guys we hooked another one...:lol:

Kev
03-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Ive been told ot be carefull about lettign the hydromoeter bounce on the bottom. The paper scale inside the glass isnt glued very well, and can break loose then the hydrometer inst accurate anymore

LOL i have one of those... Dad always said be gentle! it now reads 2.25 off, on the thick side :lol: The "new " one that got broke the other night was right on. Of course I think my brother did it and he thinks I did it. not that it really matters, either way its broke LOL
for an idiot like me its real hard to make myself pull the batch out "early" even though my eyes tell me the liquid gold in the pan is ready and I all ready know the "tool" is wrong:emb:

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-04-2011, 05:05 AM
LOL i have one of those... Dad always said be gentle! it now reads 2.25 off, on the thick side :lol: The "new " one that got broke the other night was right on. Of course I think my brother did it and he thinks I did it. not that it really matters, either way its broke LOL
for an idiot like me its real hard to make myself pull the batch out "early" even though my eyes tell me the liquid gold in the pan is ready and I all ready know the "tool" is wrong:emb:

tap the end of hydro the other way to get paper to move back:D

SugarSquirrel
03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
read the directions. It says to make a permanant mark where the red line is, and when the two lines mdont meet up, it is inaccurate and needs replacing.

3rdgen.maple
03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Buy 3 throw the one away that doesnt match up with the first 2 then you got a spare and two that read the same lol. Well thats what I do anyways. I also set them on the window sill and mark a line on the side of the wall where the red line is and check it once in awhile and everytime I do it I asked my self why do I waste my time I have never had one move. Hmmm well the directions said too. :D

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
I just wing it and trust the hydro. 1/2 point who will know. I alway go heavy because its not the end of the word if you give away a little suger.

Kev
03-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Buy 3 throw the one away that doesnt match up with the first 2 then you got a spare and two that read the same lol. Well thats what I do anyways. I also set them on the window sill and mark a line on the side of the wall where the red line is and check it once in awhile and everytime I do it I asked my self why do I waste my time I have never had one move. Hmmm well the directions said too. :D

thats because you do not have a knuckleheads like my brother and I dropping it into the cup too firmly after pulling a batch LOL