PDA

View Full Version : Adding drain to English Tin Pan

binski
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I have recently purchased a 2x4 english tin pan that I want to add a drain to. My plan is to drill a hole and MIG weld in a pipe nipple and then thread on a ball valve. The corners are soldered so I know I would have to place the drain away from the corner to keep the solder from melting. Before I drill a hole in (and potentially ruin) my pan, is this possible? I don't know if trying to weld it will be asking for trouble. I was looking for some kind of "compression" fitting I can put in the pan but cannot find one. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help :confused:

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Practice on a coffee can with the mig. Yea good luck with that If its solderd then solder in a copper fitting its the best way to keep the heat down. Yes lead free solder. Then of course all the BLA BLA BLA about get a SS pan. Oh Yea you said drain that means its in the bottom:o Now if your talking a drawoff port go on line to a brew supply and get a bulkhead fitting SS and Be happy. I did a thread for a site last month.

binski
02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I found the thread and checked out the fittings. That is exactly what I want. :D