PDA

View Full Version : How to make a really hot fire

SugarSquirrel
02-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Another question from a newbie. I have a small homemade arch that has a firebox about 12" x 24." I'm getting excited to start boiling when the temps agree and would like some tips on how to make a really good hot fire. I have a hard time getting the flames up to the rear pan. Would a fan help? How big should it be? Thanks

adk1
02-22-2011, 07:28 PM
I would add some patio blocks at the bottom and then build the fire on them. that will get the fire closer to the bottom of the pan. maybe a few layers of them. Second, I will add some patio blocks on end i nthe front, blocking off some of the front open area. I would leave an area in the middle to add wood. If you had some kind of blower you could force some air in through the opening, but since this doesnt sound like it is a very tight unit I would be cautious a bout blowing cinders and ash all over the place.

3rdgen.maple
02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Small dry wood split to the size of your wrist, criss cross it like lattice in the firebox, it will give it good breathing room that way. Be prepared to add wood every 5 to 10 minutes. Time it so you do not let the fire die down to coals. When the firebox is half full fill it up 3/4 of the way with new wood. Never let the fire die down. Keep chucking wood in it till your arms fall off. Then go get some more and do it all over again.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
use mainly soft but if you come across some dry hard hack use a piece, veeeeeeeery sparingly, you will warp the grates if your not carefull