PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the 5/16 tubing cleaned at the end of the season?

nwoods57
02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Last year I took all my tubing down and brought it back to the house and cleaned it out, this year I'd like to leave it up . But how can I get it cleaned when it's set up in the woods? Do I haul out tanks of hot water?
Any ideas?
Nwoods from Michigan

maplemark
02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I've used those pump-up agriculture plastic spray jugs, 2-3 gallon things , that have a strap you can sling over your back. Add a little bleach , or not , pop off the spout and spray away. Start at he top and work your way down, plugging each one as you finish.
Buy a new one thats never been used for anything else

Jeff E
02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
If you have vacuum, it is easy. I carry a 5 gallon pail of water into the woods. The vac pump is on, and as I pull a tap, I clean the outside of any debris (brush it off) and then submerge it in the water for couple of seconds. it sucks in a slug of water, rinsing out the tap and line. Each tap gets this done. I avoid bleach on 5/16 as it can attract chewing critters.
I will use a bleach or sanitizer in mainlines. Same way, under vacuum suck a bunch of water and sanitizer down the line to the releaser. then rinse.

All my mainline have a treaded valve on the end, so I can screw in a section of tubing and use that to suck in the water.

This works well.

nwoods57
02-23-2011, 03:30 PM
If you have vacuum, it is easy. I carry a 5 gallon pail of water into the woods. The vac pump is on, and as I pull a tap, I clean the outside of any debris (brush it off) and then submerge it in the water for couple of seconds. it sucks in a slug of water, rinsing out the tap and line. Each tap gets this done. I avoid bleach on 5/16 as it can attract chewing critters.
I will use a bleach or sanitizer in mainlines. Same way, under vacuum suck a bunch of water and sanitizer down the line to the releaser. then rinse.

All my mainline have a treaded valve on the end, so I can screw in a section of tubing and use that to suck in the water.

This works well.

Thanks for your reply Jeff, From the pictures it looks like you have a great setup. This is my 2nd year , I'm still cooking outside with a big pan, hope to put up a small shack for next year. Martin

adk1
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
i have thought about this too. I wont have alot of sections like most of you, I will ahve 500' of mainline and probably 10 100' laterals. anyways, I was planning on using hooking the end of the mainline up to a pump and leaving it on. then goign around like Jeff stated and having it suck water etc to rinse the lines

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Well since I traded 6 hours of labor today for a brand new gas powered Hitachi 6hp air compressor Im thinking I will fill the woods tank with water and put a manifold on the end of the mainline and blast an air water mixture through the lines which should result in quite a bit of turbulence. then walk the lines and pull taps and let it blast out the tap. Stick the tap on the T and move to the next.