PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with rust on your evaporator?

Eric in Kinburn
02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I bought a brand new evaporator last year and this year I'm seeing some rust on the cast iron frame. Am I too picky? Do you guys apply something to prevent rust when not is use for 11 months of the year?

I like new and shiny and rust just doesn't work for me, but maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,
Eric

adk1
02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
its gonna happen, there is no doubt. Just take some steel wool, scuff the area, make sure its dry then get some high temp black stove spray paint and hit it with that.

Flat47
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
its gonna happen, there is no doubt. Just take some steel wool, scuff the area, make sure its dry then get some high temp black stove spray paint and hit it with that.

Yup. Rust happens.
I used a wire wheel mounted on a grinder to prep. Did a great job.

3rdgen.maple
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
After your last boil of the year take the pans off the arch and cover the top or leave the pans on and fill with water. Light a fire in the arch, get it nice and hot, Take paraffin wax that is used for canning found in the grocery store and rub it over the cast and it will melt and absorb into it. Before the season starts I fill the pans with water to give them a good dust off and within an hour the wax is burnt up and you have a nice black arch. You dont need to smear the stuff on either when you are done putting it on you cannot tell its there other than your arch will have a glossy look to it. Its a trick gramps showed me years ago that he did on all the wood stoves in the spring so they didnt rust and I have been doing it on my evaporator for years. It is cool because if there is any surface rust it takes it away or covers it right up and you cant tell it was ever there.

adk1
02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
3rdgen, really, that works? We do that with Crisco on oour cast iron frying pans, same idea jsut differnent product. parafin wax?

3rdgen.maple
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Yep it works same concept with the crisco but it doesnt fill your sugarhouse full of rodents licking the outside of your evaporator. lol

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
My late brother was always good for a laugh about how to keep his Blacksmithing tools rust free. He would go on and on about rubbing them down with bees wax when they were put away. I often wonderd why he smelld like that:rolleyes: ...and his wife too:o..........S.U.C

Eric in Kinburn
02-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Good tips guys. Thanks a lot. I'll try the parafin wax once the boiling season is over. I'm assuming you don't put the wax when the fire is on, only after but when the arch is still warm enough to melt the wax right?

Cheers,
Eric

3rdgen.maple
02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Good tips guys. Thanks a lot. I'll try the parafin wax once the boiling season is over. I'm assuming you don't put the wax when the fire is on, only after but when the arch is still warm enough to melt the wax right?

Cheers,
Eric

I do it when the fire is just about out and the arch is still very hot. If it burns right off just give it a minute and try again. Even if some does burn off it will still seal it up good.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I dont have to worry about any rust for a while. Yesterday my releaser wasnt plugged in and the vacuum pulled sap into the pumpand all the oil came out the muffler and onto all my tools and stuff. Luckily its 15 feet from my evaporator and only lost 50 gallons of sap.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
OK so tell us about the pump and what it did to it? I also want a report on my desk by morning how this happened! How it can be avoided in the future and who we can blame for such a stupid *&^%$#@@$%^ mistake. Heads are going to roll. The beatings will continue until attitudes change around here:rolleyes:

concord maple
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I do it when the fire is just about out and the arch is still very hot. If it burns right off just give it a minute and try again. Even if some does burn off it will still seal it up good.

3rdgen, Your post was interesting. I am on my second year on a Phaneuff and I noticed some surface rust on the doors and at the base of the stack on the back of the arch. Is this something I could try tonight or tomorrow when I'm done boiling or should I wait until the end of the season when I fire for the last time? Will I need to repeat this at the end of the season if I do it now? Does it make a mess?

3rdgen.maple
03-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Naw if your conservative it will work if you do it now. I usually hit it a little again on my first boil if I missed any spots. Only smokes for a minute.