PDA

View Full Version : FERNCO's Food Safe

Amber Gold
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I always assumed FERNCO's were food safe because they are made from rubber or something. I bought one the other day as a quick disconnect for my feed tank to evap. and on the label is says not for "potable water", "drain use only", or something to that effect. For the minimal contact time the FERCNO will have with the sap as it's feeding the evap., is there any issue with using it?

Thanks

Bucket Head
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what the ingredients are that make up a Fernco fitting. I do know that there are thousands of those things in use today for sap hauling and transfer. That disclaimer might just be a way of Fernco relieving themselves of any liability- covering their behinds regardless of what its used for, could'nt say for sure. I use one on my gathering tank. However, I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket valve for the cage tank that will go from the tank threads to standard pipe threads. That way I can have a "standard" hook-up eliminating the Fernco. You might want to consider the "cam-lock" style quick disconnects, or a pipe union if you don't want to chance the Fernco.

Steve

CBOYER
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Fernco material is non-rigid pvc, used for drain, sewagw and vent as per astm d5926, could be virgin or recycled material. The real problem is danger to install a pre used one!!:o