PDA

View Full Version : Bricking an Arch

Splashdam
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I casually made 1.75 gallons last season on an open S.S. pan under a propane fire. I have since readied a space in part of my barn/storage shed to house a 24" X 48" raised flue S.S. pan welded seams. The unit is used in very good condition and comes from the Small Bros. in Quebec. The arch is also in good shape. I have all of the high alumina fire brick I need including refractory cement. What I am looking for and can't find is specific information on how to brick the arch. How much space is recommended between the top of the bricks and the bottom of the pan? Do I need to put a layer of vermiculite or sand on those bricks? How do I transition the bricks between the bottom flared portion of the arch to the area where the grates and the fire will be built? I have 2" thick insulating board available. Should I put this on the outside of the bricked arch. This is all new to me, but, I am excited about the possibility of making many gallons. I have easy access to 30 trees that are in excess of 28" in diameter. Thanks in advance for the help.

brookledge
11-08-2005, 09:05 PM
You can use the insulating board on the inside of the arch before you brick it, but usually 1" is used before you brick it. As far as the ash pit under the grates You can use regular brick unless you have plenty of fire brick. Take them right up to the underside of the grates so that when there is weight in there there can't be any sagging.
Then if you want to use arch board cut it and lay up against the sheet metal, the begin bricking the sides. you want to be sure that you can get grates out incase you need to replace them.
You can go right up to the top of the arch, this will give strength to the side rails. If you want to cut the top course on an angle so they don't cover as much pan that is ok. The main thing is to get under the angle iron.
Keith

forester1
11-09-2005, 06:46 AM
That's a good point Keith made about the grates. Be sure to leave a space in back of the grates a half inch or more so they can expand with the heat. If bricks are right up next to the back of the grates the grates will sag or bricks will crack.

cheesegenie
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I am not too sure what insulation board is. Is like a cement
backboard for under tiles where it is wet,or something sold
only at maple supply companies. Thanks.

brookledge
11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
The insulation board is available from other suppliers but the basic idea is that it is light weight and is rigid so that it can be cut and placed between the brick and the arch to give you better containment of the heat.
Keith