PDA

View Full Version : Lime

Al
07-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Talking to an old timer here who sugared for years. He said he used to spread a little lime around his sugar maples in the fall because it gave him a better quality sugar content for sap in the spring. Is this true or false? :D Bou did this guy like to talk and I had a really good time even tho he told some whackers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Take care

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Al,

I would like to know the answer to that myself because pelatized lime is only around $ 2 for 40 lbs. I am lucky to get overall sugar content of 2% here, so I definitely wouldn't mind 2 or 3 hours extra work putting a circle of lime around each tree in the fall.

If no one knows the answer to your question, I may try it this fall and see if it helps mine any. Lime is good for the ground anywhere and it makes sense that it would help because it neutralizes the acidic soil!

Brandon

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Studies have shown that the first season after the Lime/Fertilizer has been applied that yor sap sugar% will rise.They say that the fertilizing can give mixed results like doing more harm then good! The Lime/Wood Ash is better to begin with though. Lots to be learned on fertilization as you really need to know exactly what the needs of the maple tree are. N,P,K and all the foliar samples to boot. This fertilizing research is still in the experimental stages...Kevin