PDA

View Full Version : Bung on Side of SS 40Gal

OneLegJohn
02-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I know there is a good reason to have this bung on the side of these drums. Can some one tell me what it is?

wiam
02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
It is a good place for it to leak if not sealed

William

maple flats
02-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Might also be used for wine production and that is where they vent, ith the barrel racked on it's side. My guess is that these barrels are not specifically for maple syrup/

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
First is it a thin sided barrel or is it a Beer Keg. When you say Bung does it have a wooden plug in the bung. The old style beer kegs had the bung on the side for filling and cleaning. Event though you taped them on from the top they didnt drain all the way during the draining and cleaning.

OneLegJohn
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Brand new drum from Bascom's. Not sure if that helps.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I will guess thats a screw in bung plug. If it is then dont worry about it. Its probubly made to drain the drum completly. Its better to open and roll over a drain the to open the top and tip over and leave a few gallons. Its the best positive drain. I would bet that the bung is down when the big top port is on the top side.

sapman
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I know of at least one sugarmaker that stores his syrup on its side. He rolls them around like that, and pops the side bung off for syrup inspection.