PDA

View Full Version : need advice for filtering-30 bucket operation

mojo
02-22-2011, 05:17 AM
I've been sugaring for a number of years on a small backyard evaporator, and have never come up with a decent way to filter syrup. I have used felt and wool filters, and basically stuff them in a funnel over a bottle, pour the syrup in, and watch the syrup slowly (too slowly!) drip into the bottles, one at a time. Then, I have to reheat the syrup, so I can bottle it, often getting it close to boiling, with the associated problem of new sugar sand, niter, whatever. Any and all ideas appreciated. I'm not afraid to spend a little money, I've just never seen any listings for small scale filtering equipment.
Thanks for any help.

maple flats
02-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Use a cone filter and make a way to suspend it, then put 2 or 3 prefilters inside. If a prefilter clogs, empty it's contents (without the the sugarsand) into the layer below and continue. Start with damp filter and prefilters. Squeeze extra moisture, never wring them. It will work best if you can somehow put this all in a large pot and keep the lid on to help keep temperature up. Another way is to use flat filters, lay in a colandar, which is inside a large pot. Cut filter and prefilters to fit, You will make extras that way. If you can come up with a little filter aid, mix a little into the hot syrup and then pour it into the filter set up. Mountainvan and a few others do this and get excellent results. The biggest part is being able to maintain temperature until the syrup is filtered. Filteraid will give better clarity but is optional. If you can get some from another producer, about 1 qt worth should last the season, just add at the rate of 2-3 cups/5-6 gal syrup (you do the math to get to your batch size.)

wnybassman
02-22-2011, 05:59 AM
I have been using old cloth baby diapers (new ones of course) for years now in my small backyard operation. I have tried a multitude of different things over the years, but keeping coming back to them. I use them in a jelly strainer as shown below.

I always did OK, until last year when I discovered (on this forum) that bringing syrup back up to temperature to bottle couldn't exceed 200 degrees, even better staying under 190, but over 185. Once I started doing that I was getting crystal clear syrup every time.

http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-cars-models/diecast-car-image-large/vtg-sieve-colander-strainer-jelly-juicer-canning_200563904625.jpg

Paddymountain
02-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Buy an old 40-60 cup drip coffee pot to hang your cone fiilters in. It will
keep the syrup hot and you can bottle right out of it. We did 6 1/2 gallons
Saturday night in about 2 1/2 hours: 36 pt bottles,and about 40 1/2 pts.

adk1
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Paddymountain, can you post a pic of one of these coffee pots? that sounds like a good idea.

TF Maple
02-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I filter into a 32 cup coffee maker, it is a little small but works great. Nothing like a nice spigot on the coffee maker to fill jars. Temperature stays at 185 degrees F.

adk1
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
yeah that is a great idea. where do you get one? I see WalMart has a Hamilton Beach 42 Cup one. under $40 I wonder what the temp is for it? What a great idea! 42 cups equals 2.625 gallons. Would be ideal for my future setup I think

Ausable
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
I filter into a 32 cup coffee maker, it is a little small but works great. Nothing like a nice spigot on the coffee maker to fill jars. Temperature stays at 185 degrees F.

Howdy TF Maple -- So are you talking the Large Electric Coffee Pots like everyone use to have for parties - graduations etc.? I still have a couple of them out in the pole barn that work. I was thinking they had to be one of the old commercial jobs they use to have in restaurants, hospitals etc.. So they will keep syrup at 185F and You can - can maple syrup right from them and it will eliminate a lot of nitre. Thanks so much - I just didn't put it all together till now. Gets old - explaining about the nitre on the bottom of the jar - everytime I give someone syrup - sure will be nice not to have it.... again thanks to all of you for this information I really needed ---- Mike

adk1
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I would definatly test the temp of the water in the unit first. I am looking at the 42 Cup Hamilton Beach until online and of course they dont post the temp range

valleyman
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I have 30 taps as well. I use a cone filter (though it does suck up syrup) and a pre filter or two. It always slows to a trickle outside so I do it inside now. I've attached a pic of my filter stand.

For the sap this year I bought one of those "pop" sap filters and cut out a slighter smaller diameter hole in my cover so the metal ring on the filter sits nicely on top. So far I like the way it works.

BryanEx
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Similar to valleyman...

vtjeeper
02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Similar to valleyman...

I do it like bryanex but also tried wrapping cardboard around the frame and over the top to hold the heat in

buxtonboiler
03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I just bought a turkey fryer from Cabela's. The one I got has a spigot for bottling. I hang my filters inside and watch the temp (around 185). works fine with 5qt cone filters.

maplematt
03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
We are planning on using a synthetic cone filter and a home made PVC stand this year. Very easy to make.

I've read that if you let the syrup settle for a few days, then carefully pour it off into a pan (leaving behind the sediment) and reheat the syrup it should run through you filter rather quickly and not clog up as much.