PDA

View Full Version : syrup prices in the newspaper

maplemat1
02-22-2011, 04:58 AM
just want to thank lakefarm park in kirtland ,ohio for publishing such low prices on their syrup in the local paper .makes it hard for a producer to sell on the area prices at the retail market because everyone says we can get it cheaper at the farmpark . my thoughts are go the hell over there but i cant guarantee it.

christopherh
02-22-2011, 07:14 AM
I saw that to and was shocked! I think I'll give them a call soon.

jmayerl
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
just wondering what their prices are. remember guys if someone is selling very cheap (not within a buck or two of the going rate) that they either have crappy product or will sell out right away. either way this is good for everyone else around you. don't sell your syrup cheaper just because some down the road is, thats not good business practice. the industy as a whole is selling way to cheap here in the midwest and its only because we dont stick together like everyone out east and sell for the same price.

adk1
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Here in the adks of NYS, it is typically $45-$50/gallon

Brokermike
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Every producer in upstate NY, and around Southern VT that I have seen is around $56 per gallon right at the sugarhouse, and it goes up from there as it filters to retail outlets

Brokermike
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
"As for prices, Baker said it all depends upon volume produced. Last year was not an especially productive one and required the Farmpark to sell a pint for around $9, a quart for $15 and a 1-gallon jug for about $42."

Is this Farmpark a non-profit or something?

christopherh
02-22-2011, 11:53 AM
"As for prices, Baker said it all depends upon volume produced. Last year was not an especially productive one and required the Farmpark to sell a pint for around $9, a quart for $15 and a 1-gallon jug for about $42."

This is what Lake County Farm Park posted in the local paper. I believe they're about 10$ lower than any I've seen in this area. Lake Farm Park also holds many public events.

jasonl6
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
As for prices, Baker said it all depends upon volume produced. Last year was not an especially productive one and required the Farmpark to sell a pint for around $9, a quart for $15 and a 1-gallon jug for about $42.

Thats within a few bucks of what everyone sells for around here. Everything is right on for what I sold for except I got $45/gal last year.

I would rather sell at this price and sell out than to sell for wholesale prices.

Jason

adk1
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I would rather take that gallon of syrup and turn it into maple cream. bet you would get aroudn $150/gallon of syrup then!

jasonl6
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I would rather take that gallon of syrup and turn it into maple cream. bet you would get aroudn $150/gallon of syrup then!

Cream machine is on my list of upgrades after this season :-)

Jason

johnallin
02-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Is this Farmpark a non-profit or something?

Broker Mike,
You bet it is....it's a owned by all of us - it's the Lake County Metro Parks operation. Yep the government stepping in and competing with real people who have to pay for thier equipment with their own money - not our tax dollars. Run just like any other government operation - with no regard for profit or what the end result is....just spend the money so they can get more.
They've done the same thing here with boat dockage- Mentor Lagoons; golf courses- Manikiki; nursery stock- Holden Arboretum and other businesses and gone head to head with some nice family run operations. Guess who won.

There otta be a law...oh wait a minute John - there is - but laws are for us common folk, not them.

Brokermike
02-22-2011, 03:05 PM
That stuff is infuriating

Most non-profit's that engage in any unrelated business income must file and pay corporate taxes on income under a form 990-T.

You would be shocked at how many do not do this

christopherh
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
John, I think this deserves a comment in the News Herald "Brickbats" section.

maplemat1
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
i would like to send the news herald a thank you note for screwwing up my bussiness and one to the heads of the park to tell them how smart they really are to screw up the economy of the average sugarmaker.

johnallin
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
It's certainly worth a try; but I don't think they have the stones to touch it...

Look at all the advertising they get from Farm Park - full page, full color ads.
And what paper was the article in?

They'd most likely say that it's wonderful that "Farm Park" maple syrup is affordable for the masses; and that everyone has a right to enjoy our "natural resources" and shame on the private producer who's trying to rip them off with higher prices, or worse yet make a profit on them.

But it's funny the same paper will accept advertising dollars from some of the sleaziest businesses in the area with full page ads for "Amish built" mantles that come with "free" heaters. And you can buy one, but only if you call the special phone line between 8:00 AM and 12 Noon. It's all about the buck.

Granted I'm very small and all that we make is for family and friends, but there are folks out here that depend on this as a crop and they don't deserve to have a tax supported non-profit compete with them on an open market. Public Park Systems are wonderful and we need them - but they cross a line when they step into retail sales in direct competition with the very people that pay their salaries and overhead....US!