PDA

View Full Version : Buying a sugar bush

Capthook
02-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Hello all...

I'm looking to purchase a sugar bush and need advice.

First, what characteristics do you need and/or want in a sugar bush? And why...

Second, what density of trees (per acre) do you need to be financially successful...

Third, how much would you pay per acre and what factors would you consider in determining a fair market value for the land... keeping in mind the need for the land to produce a profit

I'm sure there are many more but this will get us started...

Many thanks

Capthook

tuckermtn
02-22-2011, 05:07 AM
are you looking for land back east or in BC? Often times a lease is a good way to get started.

sniperdodo
02-22-2011, 06:07 AM
I might be starting a gold rush out here but in New Brunswick you can get 10+ acres with an average of 80 large (>18") sugarmaples for $5000 to $7000. I imagine that it is quite a bit more expensive on the West side. Property Tax for the year on 10.6 acres was $135.00 "for the year"

maple flats
02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Ideal is hard to come by. But things to look for are 50-75 taps per acre, with 75 about the best, good slope for laterals but managable slope for mains. A well designed lateral is at least 5% slope (5'/100) up to as steep as you can climb in snowshoes (I find many of mine are too steep for this aspect). Do you have a good place to put a sugarhouse near the bush, lines feeding into the sugarhouse would be real nice. A healthy bush has a mix of hardwoods and few if any evergreens. You can change this with time, by thinning during sugarbush management. If in BC, how many maples do you have, you are west of the traditional maple areas? Are they sugar maples or reds, these are best, a few others are workable but not as profitable for you?