PDA

View Full Version : Sap vs State you make syrup in

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
A question was asked of me the other day about if a sugar maker gathers sap in NY and brings it to VT how should the Syrup be labelled.
I say Pure VT Maple Syrup, the other person was still pondering this whole thing. So what do you think?

Or we could get a new Syrup "Pure NewMont Syrup"

adk1
02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I guess technically since it was "Made in Vermont" then it should be Vt syrup. If you were selling just the sap, then it would be NYS sap..haha. Still the best part of Vermont is the sight of the Adirondack Mountains :)

3rdgen.maple
02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Simple New York Maple Syrup made in Vermont. After all it would probably be the best syrup Vermont ever made.:D

maple flats
02-22-2011, 06:39 AM
I guess this has been a question for ages. Even for the finished syrup. It is often sold in vermont (because Vermont is better at selling syrup) and I'll guess historically it was then retailed as Vermont Syrup. The syrup police are clamping down on this now. In NY we just need to get better at selling. The only stuff I sell bulk is some extra dark and all commercial, and that goes to New Hampshire or Vermont.

adk1
02-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, Vermont is also much better at Marketing their products to sell. And, having spent a considerable amount of time in Franklin County VT, come early March you dont have to drive very far to see the tell tale signs of sugarhouses dotting the rolling landscape at full boil. There are just more producers both large and small. in NY we are a more scattered bunch. I wish we had sugarhouses of more frequency.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, Vermont is also much better at Marketing their products to sell. And, having spent a considerable amount of time in Franklin County VT, come early March you dont have to drive very far to see the tell tale signs of sugarhouses dotting the rolling landscape at full boil. There are just more producers both large and small. in NY we are a more scattered bunch. I wish we had sugarhouses of more frequency.

so what your saying is the best place to be during sugaring is in the Adirondacks looking back at VT with all the steam coming up from the hills and mountains of the GREEN STATE hehehe

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I would call it vermont syrup because the hard work is the boiling and wood chopping. Running lines is only hard work the first time if you dont have tubing tools.

collinsmapleman2012
02-24-2011, 09:24 PM
well i think it would run like other products from stores: produced in the GREAT state of NY
processed, packaged in vt.

JuniperHillSugar
02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Vermont certainly does a good job at marketing its Syrup, Maine should take some more steps to market its brand a little better.

I'd think that with both Bernie Sanders and Howard Dean you wouldn't want to import any more sap(s).:lol: