PDA

View Full Version : Newbie not sure how to use the hallowed hydrometer

SugarSquirrel
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
So we rushed out and purchased a hydrometer and cup today so we can take the guesswork out of making perfect syrup. Problem is that we are not quite sure how to use it properly?? I have a Leader thermometer that is threaded right into my finishing pan. I was under the assumption that you just used this to determine when to draw off your syrup. Drawing until the temp started to drop. How do we use the hydrometer? Do we just fill the cup from the draw valve? If it is not quite ready, I'm assuming you just pour the sap/syrup right back into the finishing pan?? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated:)

maplefrank
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
i fill it from the drawoff, sometimes i scoop it out of the pan.....i have a king front pan, so i put the thermometer in the box by the drawoff ,and quit drawing when it drops.......then i check the syrup out of the pail .....hope this helps.......i didn't have a place to go to like maple trader when i started in 84.......

TF Maple
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm not an expert on this subject so someone might correct what I type. I like to put the bulb of the hydrometer in some hot syrup to warm it up and fill the cup one time to warm it up also. Then dump the syrup back in and refill to do the actual measuring. The reason for this procedure is to avoid cooling down the syrup and messing up the reading, because the temperature at the moment of testing needs to be accurate.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I fill mine from the draw off. Fill it check it, dump it back in and fill it again. The thermometer is a real good point of reference. You can also take your hand scoop lay it flat in pan pick it up and watch syrup fall off edge. If it sheets that also is a very good reference point you have syrup.
Once you get done with the cup and hydrometer clean it all off with hot water you don't want any syrup to dry to it and weight it down for the next time you use it.
When I start drawing off and have syrup I will fill the cup about every 20 seconds and check it. once I'm done drawing I will stir by bucket and check it as a whole, if its to heavy I'll draw off a little more until it gets close then filter it on to finishing /canning rig.