PDA

View Full Version : Sap and Home Brewing

Dane Tapper
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Have you ever had a maple beer or ale? I started experimenting with using maple sap and partially evaporated maple sap in my homebrewing process. Have had lots of compliments on the end result.

I also freeze sap to use at other times of the year when sap isn't running since I am pretty busy boiling sap, with little time to brew. This is also a good use for sap when it is running slow and hard to get enough before it could spoil. I freeze it in gallon milk jugs and just thaw out what I need for each batch.

wnybassman
02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I had Saranac's "Maple Porter" or whatever they call it and thought it was terrible. There ain't too many beers I don't like, but that was definitely one of them.

jmayerl
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
my brother home brews and one of his friends used sap last year, he said it came out really good.

highlandcattle
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I grow them around the pergola. Had a huge batch this last year. Anyone interested just let me know for the coming year!

mike z
02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
A friend of mine makes maple sap wine. It's really stuff good. And pretty potent:).

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Sounds tastey;) would go good with a brain sandwitch and head cheese:o

jason grossman
02-22-2011, 07:47 AM
the local brew pub here in chardon uses our syrup to make maple porter. they started it as a seasonal last year and had huge success with it. they are now going to carry it all year and have it as their signature beer. it is very good! if you like a stout or porter beer. looks like guiness when you pour it. syurp works well for beer if you do it right! if you are local or passing through you should check this place out the serve a mean burger too! www.chardonbrewworks.com on facebook also.

Dane Tapper
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow, lots of quick replies. I have made maple porter but prefer a bit lighter ale, perhaps a red or brown.

This year I am considering using very little malt and going with heavier sap maybe 20:1 boiled ratio. Not sure what hops to use. I have some homegrown Cascade hops in freezer but hate to take a chance with them. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Kent Golding would give it just the right bitter level.

I'll let you know how it turned out, then invite everyone to stop by for a taste! :)