PDA

View Full Version : tapping bits

mapleleaf
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I see tapping bits in catalogs marked canadian tapping bits. What is the difference in styles of bits and are they really worth the extra money? What type is most used and why? Frank

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2011, 09:42 AM
The Canadian tapping bit that Bascoms sells is by far the best I have ever seen and worth every penny it costs. It is extremely sharp and makes a nice round clean hole in and out in about 2 to 3 seconds. I put in 405 taps running the drill on slow speed in 2 bushes about 3/4 mile apart and done repairs too in about 6 hours on Feb 12th by myself.

Tmeeeh
02-21-2011, 10:00 AM
These bits work just as well although they are about an inch longer. They cost much less too. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=81140204

BryanEx
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
mapleleaf... what is often referred to as a Canadian taping bit has a much courser fluting to clear chips easier. With a regular "wood working" bit the moisture (sap) in the sawdust and shavings will clog up a regular bit right away requiring multiple bores. That increases the likely hood of drilling an out-of-round hole and possibly leaving debris in the tap hole which increases the tap hole closure rate later in the season. They are worth the money but keep them sharp and sterile for best results.

adk1
02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
I will probably go ahead and buy 2 5/16" canadian maple tapping bits when I do start tapping wheneve that maybe. From what I have heard, they are far superior for many reasons and that is simply why I will just go ahead and buy 2 of them and be done with it. If you thinkg about it, there really isnt muc hmore important that having that perfect hole to start the sap flowing to all of that high end tubing leading to that collection tank feeding that professional evaporator that we all dear so much! IF you cant make that perfect hole, all of the other equipment isnt worth a darn!

xulgiy
02-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Definitely worth the money. I have always used a brad bit that I thought was really nice and left holes clean. Last weekend I helped a friend tap his 2000 tap bush with one of these bits that he gave me to use. The bit does not roam....drills fast and leaves a very crisp, clean hole. I purchased one yesterday without flinching!

adk1
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
what is the difference between the Leader tapping bits and the Bascoms Canadian Tapping bits? They look similar but they arent?

Dill
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Ah I was just about to post a review. Last year I bought a 5/16 Bascoms bit. Tap 200 or so trees with it reamed 100 taps. Than tossed it in the door bin on the truck.
This year I ordered a leader bit, drilled 50 taps and wasn't happy with it. Dug out that bascom's bit that had been bouncing around with tools and draw pins all year and it still out performs the leader bit.

adk1
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Ah I was just about to post a review. Last year I bought a 5/16 Bascoms bit. Tap 200 or so trees with it reamed 100 taps. Than tossed it in the door bin on the truck.
This year I ordered a leader bit, drilled 50 taps and wasn't happy with it. Dug out that bascom's bit that had been bouncing around with tools and draw pins all year and it still out performs the leader bit.

ok, thats the only answer I need. thanks

Dill
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
The biggest issue with the leader bit is the shank is round and smooth so no matter how hard I tightened the chuck on the dewalt it slips. So I wasn't able to pull the bit out without reversing it.

adk1
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
The biggest issue with the leader bit is the shank is round and smooth so no matter how hard I tightened the chuck on the dewalt it slips. So I wasn't able to pull the bit out without reversing it.

now thats interesting. for the $2.00 more for the BAscoms Canadian bit I will go with that one.

M&N maple
03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
the best bit i found to use was dewalt pilot piont bits

mapleack
03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
the best bit i found to use was dewalt pilot piont bits

They work well, but the darn pilot point is dangerous, I've got a nice scar on a finger to prove it. The canadian bits are worth the price!

Maple Hobo
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM

How deep you sinking the bit?

I use the tree saver bits and the bit goes to 1.5" and backout without even stopping or needing to be reversed. Keep the drill spinning and just pull it straight out.

MOST drill bits are round and they don't slip.

You might need to invest in a chuck to stop it or put tape around the bit if your over drilling?

davey
03-07-2011, 06:50 AM
We did an experiment this year as I could only find one of my Lapierre tapping bits. Two of us were tapping and I was using a standard bit and my buddy the tapping bit. I used up three fully charged 18 volt batteries before he drained one. Aside from the cleaner straighter hole, less labor, better seal, etc... that convinced me that the lapierre tapping bits are the way to go.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2011, 07:14 AM
I have an entire case of the dewalt pilot point bits and they won't hold a light to the Canadian bit Bascom sells. I could put 3 or 4 holes in a tree with the Canadian bit while I was putting one in with the Dewalt bit. The Dewalt bits are awesome bits for everything else and I love them, but not for tapping.

mapleleaf
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
After reading replys from forum, I bought a canadian bit from Bascoms,and used in a Dewalt 14.4V drill. did 100 tap 3/5. What a difference from what I had used last year. well worth the money. Now I just have to work around the 2 foot of snow last night :cry:

whalems
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I bought my first real tapping bit this year. What a difference:) Well worth the money.

Dave Puhl
03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Ok..this old farm boy can be open minded...I am due again for a new bit...every two years I get a new one but I am useing just a regular bit...I get a 27/64 for my 7/16 taps.....with these tapping bits do the taps sink in to far...on mine theres a inch left before it bottoms out to the square collar.....

BryanEx
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
.....with these tapping bits do the taps sink in to far...
Sink into the drill... or the tree? The chuck end of the bit is machined smaller than 7/16" with flat sides so the drill has a very good grip on it. Drilling into the tree I find there is a slight pause in the cutting action as the fluting fills with wood which is right about the depth needed for the tap. I started out using a stop block but once I had the feel for the pause I never bothered with it again. The biggest difference is the aggressive flutes which prevents having to back the drill out to clear them.

adk1
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I just ordered my Canadian Maple Tapping Bit (5/16"). Abit pricy, but from the reviews it is well worth it.

maple tim
04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
u will love it this is the second year i have used one. My 14 volt cordless gets 60 to 70 taps per battery (forzen or thawed). Wont go back to any other bit.

sapsucker78
01-22-2012, 09:58 PM
These bits work just as well although they are about an inch longer. They cost much less too. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=81140204

Has anyone tryed these along side of the Canadian bits? How do they compare?

mapleack
01-23-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm pretty sure you want a 135 deg point, not the 118.

smokeyamber
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Not to hyjack this thread, but I am looking to get tapping bits for 7/16 and 5/16 taps, I have a mix of taps. On Bascomms site they list those and also a 19/64". I have found that I need to use a size 1/16 down from the tap size to keep from having the taps too loose. Too loose by meaning the buckets pull the tap out when collecting. Will the 7/16 and 5/16 bits do such a better job of clearing the holes that the taps will be tighter ? Should I opt for the 19/64" and the 7/16" bits ? I don't have many taps, but would like to get nice clean holes so I get the max amount from them...

Thanks for any info and it will be tapping time soon !!!

smokeyamber
02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Picked up a Lapiere bit at Goodriche's last weekend, went with the 5/16 and got more taps so I can go small on everything now... review to follow soon as the sap will run in a couple of weeks ! I see now what everyone says about the flutes on these, should clear chips much better than the twist drill bits I have been using ! :D

Thad Blaisdell
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
too bad I didnt catch this thread, I would have given you a bit, I only use them for 1000 taps and then throw them away. Would have been perfect for 41 taps

GeneralStark
02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
too bad I didnt catch this thread, I would have given you a bit, I only use them for 1000 taps and then throw them away. Would have been perfect for 41 taps

Have you ever heard of sharpening them? Or is this for sanitation purposes? Are these "tapping bits" really any different than a quality woodworking bit? Can they not be sharpened?

I will take your used bits!

smokeyamber
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
They do look different so I don't know if my Drill Doctor can sharpen them... good question GeneralStark.

sugaringman85
02-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Thad, you think the frozen wood dulls your drill enough to see a difference after 1000 taps? Seems a bit pricey to go through 10 bits a season. Just curious if you have found a difference. I've been using the same bit for at least two years and probably have about 3000 holes drilled with it. Seems to be fine still.

tuckermtn
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
the bits don't need to be pricey...

mscdirect.com part number 81140204

and yes they are hard to resharpen- not sure why, but something different in the bit angles

Thad Blaisdell
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I buy mine for a little over $16.00. You notice a significant difference in the speed at which you can drill a hole with a new sharp bit. Lets say over the course of 1000 taps I save an hour. Money well spent. Now I have to think that it may make a difference in the quality of the hole drilled. Much less likely to oblong, causing leakes, therefor causing me many headaches. To me it is just very cheap insurance.

To answer some of the other questions.

No definitely not for sanitation. Strictly speed now at tapping and potentially later for leaks. I tap between 100-150 per hour. Speed speed speed. I have way too many to get done. I purchase new batteries every year, lithium ion 19.2. I am getting 400 per battery. So lets say the bit is slightly dull maybe then I only get 300 per battery. That is another time loss.

sugarman 85, if I had 1350 taps I would use the same bit over and over as well. You can tap 300 a day and be done in 4-5 days. If I average 750 a day I have to tap 13-14 days. If I can knock that down a day, or even half a day it is worth every penny

sugaringman85
02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Eric - Those are the same bits as the canadian style tapping bit?! if so i would say bascoms is putting a huge mark up on those

gmcooper
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
A few years ago I tried a bit very similar to the bits from MSCdirect and a couple other wholesalers. They looked very close to the Canadian tapping bits but definately were not identical as they did not drill nearly as fast or as clean as the Canadian Tapping bits I use now.
What ever bit anyone uses it needs to be sharp to cut a neat clean hole. A dull bit will tend to mash and crush the wood as it goes in. The more passes in and out means a greater chance of making the tap hole out of round.

adk1
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I bought the canadiam maple bit. It is recomended. I have not used it yet, fixin on using it me next weekend. I will let you know how it works!

Troutman10
02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
This is my second year doing syrup. I don't mean to have this post go somewhere else, but I have a question regarding tap hole size. I'm using a 7/16" bit and obviously notice there's also bits/taps for a 5/16 hole. Is one size superior to another? Will one size yield more sap? Any help is apprciated!

02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
It all depends on what size tap you have

happy thoughts
02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
You have to match the bit to the size of your spile. Spiles come in both diameters.

adk1
02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I tap 5/16"

garytapsmaples
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I've had this hobby since my grandpa showed me how to tap and boil in my early twenties. Used homemade taps from elderberry branches. The center is soft and can be pushed out making a tap. Drilled holes with a brace and 3/4" bit, leaving some pretty big scars in the trees. I now use 5/16" auger bit from Lowes and metal & plastic taps. I feel I get more sap from these smaller taps but I can't account for the leakage around the homemade taps.

The 70's through 2011 20 to 50 trees boiled in 2 iron kettles open fire.

2012:
Homemade concrete arch 2.5' X 8' flat pan.