PDA

View Full Version : 1000 gal tank and 75 CFM pump missing

maple flats
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
After working the morning at the sugarhouse, I went back up on the hill to my sugarbush. I needed to use snowshoes for the short trek in (40') to my tank and vac pump. I soon realized they were gone. Also gone was the cellar hole they were in. I then realized that yesterday's near blizzard conditions had filled in the cellar hole all but about a 3' strip. The snow was between 6-7' deep, and it covered everything. All I could see on my 1000 gal vac tank was the top 4" of one agitator motor and the pump was down under there somewhere. I got my shovel from the truck and began shoveling snow. I dug down enough, shoveling with snowshoes on, until I had uncovered about 2' of the tank and about 1/2 of the vacuum pump. I'm thinking a roof is in order before next year if the landowner will allow. I'll likely leave most of the snow around the tank except the top and the valve end. It will keep the sap cold. The pump must be cleared all the way for me to use it. I plan to start tapping tomorrow and install 3 sap ladders, 1 about 2', and 2 in the 6-7' range. I'll have my grandson start tapping, along with mapletrader YeastPimp, who has helped me quite a lot the last few weeks. I teach him how not to do it and he helps me out, good trade.

MASSEY JACK
02-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Dave,

I thought they had been stolen when I read the title. I am glad they were just camouflaged in the snow.Lots of exercise for you! Jack

maple flats
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Yea, lots of exercise, just what I was thinking. My grandson helped shovel about a half hour and we got it good to go. We also tapped several laterals today, more tomorrow, along with 2 or 3 sap ladders and some more side ties to tension mains and branch lines. YeastPimp helped all day too, Thanks Tim.

3rdgen.maple
02-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Are you nuts? It was so frigging cold out today Im suprised you guys didnt freeze to death with a shovel in your hand. I guess you really have to love this to be out in it today.

maple flats
02-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Just dress for the weather, I never got cold, my grandson made the mistake of just wearing a pair of cotton socks under his boots, I had to take hin home and outfit him properly, after that he also was warm.