PDA

View Full Version : First posting - dumb questions

bxowner
02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
I had a Leader Half-pint for about 4 or 5 seasons and sold it last year, hoping to find a larger unit. My rationale was that I'd spend 11 hours to make a gallon of syrup. There were two reasons for this - (1) I don't have anywhere to cover it, so I was in my driveway and (2) where I live, it seems like it's ALWAYS windy... so, needless to say, it was about as inefficient as could be.

Now I have a chance to get a 2x6 Leader drop flue. I do plan to build a sugarhouse over the course of this summer.

My questions are:

1. Are all "SS" labeled Leader evaporator pans free of lead solder? What is meant by TIG welded? Is that the only way to solder stainless pans?

2. If I only tap 40 or 50 trees, am I going to be able to collect enough sap over the course of 3 or 4 days (I only boil on the weekends) to make a 2x6 run? Or am I constantly going to be low on sap? I'm not thinking a 2x6 will boil 80 gallons/hour or anything like that - it's just that I don't want to get an evaporator that's too big to even use, let alone enjoy.

3. If I get through this season in my driveway and then build the sugarhouse - and find that it's way more efficient than I can make good use of the evaporator, given the few trees I have... can I get good enough money for the 2x6 stainless drop flue pans to pay a long way toward new flat pans?

Thanks in advance.

sapbrush
02-20-2011, 04:35 PM
HI i have a half pint have had it for years have about 35 taps never had a problem keeping up, there are some long boils but once you get it going it does the job for me ,a bigger unit with that few taps you willbe searching for sap and running out all the time, you should have just kept the half pint for the taps you have, but a blower on it and she flys, good luck jim

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Tig welded is actually welded not soldered. Not sure just how old your pan is so It is difficult to say if it is soldered with non lead solder. I think leader was the first to go away from lead.
You will be fine with 40 or 50 taps and the drop flue pans. May not boil for very long.
Can you erect some kind of windbreak to enhance your boil?

maple flats
02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Leader changed from lead solder to lead free about 1985-90 I think. If it is older than that you likely have 50/50 lead solder, if newer it is likely lead free. If it is Tig Welded you have no lead. If it has lead solder, just do not clean the solder so it is bright again. The oxidation on the surface locks in the lead. If you are going to sell syrup you have specific requirements in Vermont, If just for family and friends as gifts you don't. 40-50 trees will be fine after the first boil, you might have a problem getting the first boil. On an evaporator you should have about 3 hrs boil to fire up. This sweatens the pans and protects from freezing hard. A 2x6 drop flue boils about 25 GPH times 3=75 gal. After your first boil you can run whatever you get but each time you reheat you make the syrup darker. Too many short boils makes rather dark (but good) syrup. 2x6's are always in demand. That is one of the easiest sizes to resell. I bought a 2x6 in 04, ran it 3 seasons and sold it for 250 more than I paid for it. Then I bought my 3x8, also used.