PDA

View Full Version : storage tank

Got It Bad
02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi guys I can get my hands on a 275 gl poly tank that used to have garlic butter in it do you think i can get it clean enough to haul sap around

whalems
02-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I doubt you will ever get the garlic smell out of them. But I have no experience with garlic butter smell removal:) Garlic flavored syrup.... you may be on to something:lol: good luck, Mike

maple flats
02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
probably not, but you can sell it as garlic syrup and market it to the Italians. You can't however call it pure maple syrup. Garlic is a very hard taste to remove.

Got It Bad
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
thanks guys did some more research and your right its not worth the trouble good luck

guppy79
02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
It is not hard to clean them. Hot water and milkhouse acid cleaner gets em clean. I have several and have no problems. My friends and family that eat/drink/consume my syrup love it.

I don't notice any garlic flavor or aroma at all. I did however clean it out a year before we used em. They sell them tanks here in Medford wi. Come from tombstone pizza.

Haynes Forest Products
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I still cant understand why someone would have such passion for making maple syrup and then chance turning it into trash using a tainted tank.

markct
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
well i think thats what he was asking, if its possible to get it clean, seems like with heat and time and lotsa scrubbing maybe, but i dont know. myself and a few local producers use barrels that were from peppers, even after a few years they still smell like peppers a bit but no one i know of has ever noticed any flavor imparted on the sap or syrup. heck i have lotsa milk tanks and beer kegs in my operation and have little fear about my sap tasting milky or any worries over driving after consuming syrup from a keg:D so yes i have a great passion but also a frugal wallet, so thats where we have to make the balance of used food grade items!