PDA

View Full Version : Expectations of 7" WesFab Filter Press

OneLegJohn
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm a bottom liner. Given I continuously filter hot syrup, can some one give me a range of how many gallons I should be able to process before cleaning? I understand it changes as the season progresses, hence the range. Also, at what psi is typically the limit before a blow out? I'm not interested in the outliers getting a million gallons through their filter press before cleaning. Just typical performance, or the manufacturer's recommendations.

briansickler
02-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I was told you can filter about 15 gallons on a set of papers with the 7" short bank press. It holds six filters. I just bought mine at the Verona show, so don't know from experience. I hope to get at least 10 gallons on a set of filter papers. Also, they told me to use only a 6 oz. cup of filter aid to the syrup. I was told to mix it in at the beginning gallon and it would flter the rest of the syrup. Or, you can mix it with the whole batch and just recirculate the syrup until it runs clear. We'll see how she works, soon I hope. As far as the pressure before blow out, I'm not sure. That's a good quesion. Maybe someone else knows.

Brian

tom jr.
02-20-2011, 11:26 AM
nate, my book says you can filter to 50psi. before changing I just got a new
7'' short bank wes fab and filtered 5 gal last night without a problem maybe 7psi. definitly worth the investment!

briansickler
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
nate, my book says you can filter to 50psi. before changing I just got a new
7'' short bank wes fab and filtered 5 gal last night without a problem maybe 7psi. definitly worth the investment!

That's good to here. How much filter aid did you add? Did you mix it all together first?

I didn't get a book with my press. I'll have to see about getting one.

Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a 4 bank Lapierre press which is 1 more bank than a short bank and I can usually get 10 to 15 gallons of syrup thru it but a lot depends on the sugar sand. If the sand it heavy or the syrup is late in the season, I may only get 5 to 7 gallons of it thru and early in the season I could probably get as much as 20 to 25 gallons thru it. I normally try to can in batches of 10 to 12 gallons, so it works good for me. I run about 1.5 to 2 gallons of syrup out into a bucket and mix at least 1 heaping cup of filter aid into it and run it thru the press and back into the hot syrup to charge the press. I then mix another couple of cups in the remaining 10 to 11 gallons of hot syrup and then run that thru the press and into the canner. I run all what comes out of the 1.5 to 2 gallons of what I am using to charge the press back into the pan to allow the syrup to get nice and clear. This is usually plenty and I don't have to run any more.

One thing that helps a ton is the bypass valve. It allows you to keep on filtering when the pressure gets too high by opening it, it cuts down on the pressure. The more you open it, the slower it filters but it helps to get the last few gallon thru.

OneLegJohn
02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
The reason for my inquiry: I had a blowout. It isn't a sugarbush until there is syrup on the ceiling!

paul
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
what was the psi when she blew?

OneLegJohn
02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
what was the psi when she blew?

I have no idea. Lol. I was scrambling to shut it off. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Does it not have a pressure gauge on it??

I think the problem may lie in that you are trying to continuously filter syrup off of a 2x6. Unless you have a way of keeping the press plates very hot, they will cool down and 15 or 30 minutes later when you try to run more syrup thru them, they have cooled off way too much and is probably what is causing you to blow papers. They work better batching syrup thru them unless you can keep them hot.

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
OLJ Look at my photo bucket and look for my filter press you will see the best thing I had a friend bend up out of SS. Its my anti shower shield. I got ^*&%^##%^&ing sick and tired of squirting syrup all over the place. I tend to let the pump get to the squeaking point before I change the papers. When the needle is bouncing of the 100PSI peg. I do get about 20 gallons out of my press before I change them. I stir in the filter aid and start filtering as I stir. I also recirculate back into the finisher and when its crystal clear I put the hose in the bottler. I also do random checks during the filtering just to make sure its nice and clear. I will stick a glass under the hose in the canner to sample it. I also use a Food Grade SS cheater bar to get the plates TIGHT. If I dont all the papers weep syrup. Also when you get your filters open the package and run a few lines with a sharpie on the top of them so you always get them in black stripe up. All it takes is one to be in sidways to piss you off.

sapman
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I routinely filter up to 80psi or so. I've had papers blow at lower psi. Think it can depend on how well a coating of DE you have on the papers. But keeping everything hot, like said, is imperative. I'd say I get 20-35 gallons on my full bank press, except for end of season stuff.

OneLegJohn
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
OLJ Look at my photo bucket and look for my filter press you will see the best thing I had a friend bend up out of SS. Its my anti shower shield. I got ^*&%^##%^&ing sick and tired of squirting syrup all over the place. I tend to let the pump get to the squeaking point before I change the papers. When the needle is bouncing of the 100PSI peg. I do get about 20 gallons out of my press before I change them. I stir in the filter aid and start filtering as I stir. I also recirculate back into the finisher and when its crystal clear I put the hose in the bottler. I also do random checks during the filtering just to make sure its nice and clear. I will stick a glass under the hose in the canner to sample it. I also use a Food Grade SS cheater bar to get the plates TIGHT. If I dont all the papers weep syrup. Also when you get your filters open the package and run a few lines with a sharpie on the top of them so you always get them in black stripe up. All it takes is one to be in sidways to piss you off.

funny stuff... Any rules of thumb on how much DE? Mix in a 6oz coffee cup per X gallons?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I put a heaping 8 ounce cup into about 1.5 gallons gallons to charge the press and then mix about 1 cup per 4 gallon of syrup into the remaining syrup to be filtered.

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
How much you put is is important but keeping it is suspension is also important so keep it stired. I have finished filtering only to find a layer of DE on the finnisher bottom.

Brent
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
When we first got our ol cast iron press, it was already very experienced and came without instructions.

We got the plates turned around backwards several times and got pre-mature blow-outs :D several times before we figured it all out.

wiam
02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Just to touch on the filterpress after a 2x6. I have not had a problem keeping press hot when boiling 10% sap.

William