PDA

View Full Version : How to connect a pipe to a 250 gal. tote?

Eric in Kinburn
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I bought a used food grade tote like the one in the picture to use as my sap collection tank. I am looking for a coupler that would allow me to connect a pipe and reducers and gravity feed it to my pre-heating pan where I would have a valve to control to flow.

My problem is that the thread on the 2" tote valve doesn't seem to be standard. Has anyone else encountered this? Can you share how you resolved this issue?

Many thanks!
Eric

ejmaple
02-19-2011, 04:14 PM
get a 2'' x 1.5'' perco fitting (rubbery black fitting with clamps on either side, all hareware stores carry them) attach the 2'' end to the tote valve threads ( take off the union nut), and the other to standard 1.5'' female adapter and reduce to what ever you need. the other way in witch i've done is to ( if you have the spout that comes with most of those totes) cut off the tip of the spout and glue a 1.5'' pvc fitting to it, like a soket x female.

cpmaple
02-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Get a 2" cam lock with double female and you can get any reducing bushing you want for it i did the same thing on two of those tanks and one is bushed down to 1-1/4" and other is down to 3/4" for a garden hose which goes to my pump to put it up into my storeage tote. Works really good and no leaks. You can get those cam locks for under $20.00 bucks. hope this helps. cpmaple

Eric in Kinburn
02-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys,

ejmaple - I thought those rubber couplings were for sewer and drain only (that's what the sticker on them say anyways). Are there any problem in using them for food grade products?

cpmaple - I went to a local farm supply today and saw some Gator Lock couplings (http://grnleafinc.com/CATALOG/GATOR_LOCK/Green_Gator_Lock.asp) but me and the staff couldn't find a way with what they had to reduce it down. I also brought one home and didn't find it would lock down on the tank fitting properly. Did you have to modify the tank fitting? Did you clamp your on the threaded part?

Cheers,
Eric

3rdgen.maple
02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
My problem is that the thread on the 2" tote valve doesn't seem to be standard. Has anyone else encountered this? Can you share how you resolved this issue?

You would be correct they are all metric threads. If you look closely it says it on the tank somewhere, well atleast mine do. I would also suggest putting cam locks on them for quick and easy removal of the pipe.

maple flats
02-19-2011, 08:09 PM
If it is metric, measure the diameter in MM The diameter from the deepest thread depth to the opposite corresponding groove and the pitch (mm distance thread to thread. Then you should be able to get a nipple to screw in. Then go Fernco connector and use a valve from there. Good luck.

maple flats
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Here is a conversion chart : http://www.pennusa.com/pennpage/directory/spec/metcons.htm
This will give you the equivelents. Then measure the pitch and order a 80-90 or 100 mm long nipple to work with. They can be gotten many places online.

steam maker
02-19-2011, 08:25 PM
search oesco.com or google orchard equipment supply company. they r in conway mass. thats where i got the correct adapters for mine.

CBOYER
02-19-2011, 09:01 PM
York fluid in Brampton ont. sells Banjo brands couplers and adapters npt/metric or buttress in polypropilene.

Eric in Kinburn
02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks again guys,

After doing a lot of web searching I found out that they are called IBC buttress fittings. A company named Banjo produce them (probably others too). Now I have to find a distributor in my area (Ottawa valley in Ontario, Canada) or someplace that can get it shipped to me within the next week. Suggestions are welcome.

Steam Maker - Thanks, but oesco.com brings me to an electrical company in Oklahoma

maple flats - Thanks for the tips and chart. I'll look into that approach also.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric in Kinburn
02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
cboyer - Thanks! I'll look into that.

Cheers,
Eric

green4310
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Looks like mine and it is made for a two inch female camlock . Then just bush down to what ever pipe size you need. They sometimes are included with the tank.

pelz
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.jmesales.com/category/2583/1/New-Rebuilt-IBC-Tote-Valves.aspx
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/search.aspx?search=IBC Polypropylene Tank Accessories&page

one of these valves to a banjo fitting to clear tubing is how it works for me, also i put in a bulk head fitting and fill from that and don't have to worry about the hose flying out or changing over hoses to fill it

Flat47
02-20-2011, 01:34 PM
My tote didn't come with a valve, so I glued a pvc valve into it. On the inside of the outlet on the tote there was a removable ring with some alignment tabs. I pulled that out and a 1.5" pvc valve slid right in. Now I can adapt it to what I want.

cpmaple
02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I did not come across that problem you had i have two different cam lock fittings one is plastic and other is ss and they just slipped right on and locked an then i use that reducing bushing down to what i need i will get pics in the morning and post them for you. cpmaple

Leadft
02-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks again guys,

After doing a lot of web searching I found out that they are called IBC buttress fittings. A company named Banjo produce them (probably others too). Now I have to find a distributor in my area (Ottawa valley in Ontario, Canada) or someplace that can get it shipped to me within the next week. Suggestions are welcome.

Steam Maker - Thanks, but oesco.com brings me to an electrical company in Oklahoma

maple flats - Thanks for the tips and chart. I'll look into that approach also.

Cheers,
Eric[/QUOTE]

thetoteguy
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I was talking with someone else who bought some totes. He was going to get a flexable rubber coupling at the hardware store and hose clamp it in place. There is also the possability of putting an adapter through the cap on the valve. If you didn't get one, I think I still have some kicking around. If the valve can accomadate a cam lock coulpling, a company online called Dixon has some that will work.
Ken

Eric in Kinburn
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I ended up buying an adapter from Atkinson maple. I think it will do the trick:

http://atkinsonmaple.com/catalogue/tanks_barrels/used_barrels_and_drums

Buttress Thread Adapter

Convert 2" Male buttress thread to 2" Male NPT and 2" Male Camlock

PQCBUT

Cheers,
Eric