PDA

View Full Version : When should you stop boiling and call it syrup?

jcr1709
02-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi,

2nd year, got about 3.5 gallons from 20 taps last year...for home use and gifts. Although I liked the syrup I produced, it was a little bit thin compared to commercial McLure's Grade B Dark Amber that we use in the restaurant.

I don't want to buy any more special equipment, so I did the 7.5 degrees f. rule above the boiling point, checked with a very accurate digital thermometer?My boiling point here was 213 degrees f so I took it to 220-221. Has anybody heard of a different temperature above the boiling point that is correct?

I may also try this year judging the syrup density by weighing it. One perfect level cup of commercial McLure's weights 11.55 OZ./327 Grams. If I did this, would my syrup be thicker?

I entered the syrup at our local Durham Fair this past year and some of the comments were..a little thin.....very clear.....slight fermented taste. No ribbon....a little disheartening since almost everybody wins something!! Wah!

Thanks in advance for the help.

BryanEx
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I grew through the same process jcr1709. Spend the 25 bucks or so and get a hydrometer. Use a thermometer to get you in the ball park of syrup and then the hydrometer for final finish. Like you, my first year syrup was all thin based on thermometers alone and I found out later that often I need to take things several degrees higher. If you're going to try for ribbons you will need the tools... fortunately this one costs far less than a pan or filter press. ;)

3rdgen.maple
02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I know you dont want to buy anything else but to get your syrup right you really need to buy a hydrometer. They are not that much money and you can skip spending the money on a hydrometer cup and improvise with something you might already have. It is a must have in the sugarhouse. I have atleast 3 of them at all times. It sucks when you drop one so IM come prepared. Also it has been brought up a couple times on here but it take 9 degrees over boiling point of water for me and some others as well to get to the red line on the hydrometer which is correct syrup density. Some other old timer tricks are to test it using the aproning trick but hydromter is best. Oh yeah did I say use a hydrometer?

Ausable
02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Know I'm going to sound like an Echo - But I wasted a lot of time and energy making thin - ho-hum - maple syrup. When You finally invest in a syrup hydrometer - You will be making Maple Syrup - You can be proud of. It is the most important tool You can have - to make maple. ----- Mike

3rdgen.maple
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey did I mention get a hydrometer:D

Ausable
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Whoooopppsss! Heard an Echo -- Get a Hydrometer -- A Syrup Hydrometer... They really work ----- This is an echo - echo - echo -- Mike

Greg Morin
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Take it from an elcheapo, get one its the difference between making sweet water and real syrup!! many years without it and not one batch was the same now perfect.

wnybassman
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
It took me almost 12 years, but I finally got the hydrometer last year and wouldn't be without it now.

morningstarfarm
02-19-2011, 05:09 PM
hmmm just an idea...I know everyone has their own different ideas on how to tell if syrup is finished right...my own twist on this hotly debated topic is to go buy a hydrometer...:D:o;)

captnsteve
02-19-2011, 05:15 PM
are all hydrometers alike or is there a specific one for maple syrup

Greg Morin
02-19-2011, 05:23 PM
this is what I have and like it there is 2 sizes and 2 different size cups also there is a sap hydrometer

mine is:

http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88&products_id=298&zenid=96336a4814e58718263e45e563ba9fdc

http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88&products_id=295

captnsteve
02-19-2011, 05:29 PM
thanks i will have to find one around here or order one

Littlesap
02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I usually get it close with via the temp then rely on a hydrometer for finished product. You can either order one online or go to Lamothe's Sugar House north of Waterbury maybe 30 minutes.

Fishgill
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
This is my third season. This year I will rely on a hydrometer.

maple flats
02-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I simpler method is to "learn" to apron. To do this you use a spoon or better a ladle with a flat edge to dump from. You dip some "syrup"? while boiling and lift up and dump it back into the boiling liquid. If it forms a sheet at the end of the dump it it syrup. This is how the old timers did it. It takes some practice but it does work. You can even put a spatula into the boil and lift it out at about a 45-60 degree angle and it will apron if it is surup. Aproning is when the syrup forms a long wide "sheet" across the dumping end of what ever you are using. The old timers used a syrup scoop which works best, but you can use the other things I mentioned above. To buy a scoop, you would have paid for a hydrometer, so use the hydrometer. To use that, dump in boiling syrup to preheat the cup, dump it and refill with boiling syrup immediately read the density after carefully lowering the hydrometer into the syrup. If you wait very long you will read incorrectly for the scale on the hrdrometer. It calls for 211 and doing it correctly as stated above it will be that cool very quickly. If your thermometer is accurate you can also read the temp in the cup and use a correction table. Another method is to take the reading at 60 degrees, also marked on the hydrometer and easier to keep that temp much longer but if you need more density you then need to reheat. Each reheating makes the syrup darker.