PDA

View Full Version : temp drops too much when filtering to bottle?

emu742
02-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I filtered the syrup yesterday, but even in the very short time of filtering the temp dropped to 150. How do you filter and bottle at the proper temp? If I reheat it to get to 190 to bottle, aren't I just getting more niter/sugar sand forming again?

Another question I should ask is - is it even necessary to get this sugar sand out? Does it affect the taste and quality over time? Or is it just a visual and texture thing (don't want it cloudy or gritty)?

I may not worry about it and stick all my jars in the freezer instead of my cabinet, but I am still curious to understand the process and how it works.

unclebuck
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I use a single cone filter tank with a pre filter and a wool cone filter. After I run the syrup thru the filter I put it on the burner to reheat to 185-195 degrees as long as you stay below 200 degrees temp no sugar sand should form.when bottling glass I warm them up first because when you put the hot syrup in glass the heat is sucked out faster than plastic and on the shelf after time mold will form I learned the hard nway Ruined two cases of 12oz bottles

michiganfarmer2
02-19-2011, 05:03 AM
when Im bottling, I keep the heat turned on till the pan is almost empty, and I keep checking the temp

red maples
02-19-2011, 07:23 AM
After you filter it, its finished syrup at that point. so you can do with it what you want. Put it back into your canning pot/pan what ever your set up . bring it up to 190* and fill your bottles like uncle buck said as long as you don't bring it back to 200* there will be no more sugar sand separation.

briansickler
02-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Some syrup can precipitate more sugar sand at temps above 195 and can darken if held there for prolonged period of time. So I would try to keep temps below 195 when bottling.

Brian

emu742
02-19-2011, 08:24 AM
oh ok this is good to know, thanks to all who responded! Will remember to keep my glass bottles hot and give this a shot!

wnybassman
02-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I usually bring it back up to 185-190 after filtering. I have always used room temperature glass bottles without any problem, but I could see if they were colder than that, problems could occur.

Also, when bringing it back up to that temp to bottle, bring it up very slowly otherwise you could cause niter formation again.

skillet
02-19-2011, 01:20 PM
We use glass bottles. They are given a bath in boiling water before filling.

TC matt
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I bottled/canned about 8 gallons last year all in mason jars and had a hard time avoiding sugar sand. I tried everything to avoid it, but every single pint and quart had some in it. To answer your question re taste, etc....it never bothered me or anyone I asked. the longer it sets the more it settles - after a couple of weeks it really sticks to the bottom of the jars. All my jars sealed and never had any mold form.

ComputerSteve
03-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Last year we filtered through coffee filters several times and still got sugar sand. Eventually we gave up and packed it in quart size mason jars. We let the sugar sand settle and put them in the freezer until Christmas time. Then we took them out and siphoned the clear syrup off the top and left the sugar sand in the bottom. We brought the syrup back up to 180 and repacked the syrup in pint jars. After that there was no sugar sand. We gave the pint jars out as Christmas gifts. This year we have orlon filters with prefilters and I hope they do a better job.

Kev
03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Some syrup can precipitate more sugar sand at temps above 195 and can darken if held there for prolonged period of time. So I would try to keep temps below 195 when bottling.

Brian
when it darkens under prolonged heat does it bring out more maple flavor?
I do not have a grade set so I do not really know what mine is. It is running much lighter in color this year, much longer into the season. I prefer a stronger maple flavor than I am getting.

katmike
03-12-2011, 06:09 AM
I've actaully mixed lighter with darker to get the stronger flavor. I do hold back some lighter but only for candy making.