PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to shut down vacuum pump

jimsudz
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm a vacuum greenhorn,I have been running my Surge 30 for 30 hrs. now it is 37 degrees now and it is suppose to freeze later. What is the correct procedure to shut down and when should I shut down? The pump has been working excelent running at 120 degrees when it was 50 out and 100 degrees when it was 40 degrees,the oil level hasn't went downat all. The 216 gilles has been flawles. How do I treat the releaser when I shut down? Thanks for the info. Jim

802maple
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Keep running until the sap stops and then just shut it off

Russell Lampron
02-19-2011, 05:48 AM
If you have a check valve at the pump let it do it's thing. If you have a shut off valve turn it off before you shut off the pump. This will keep it from turning backwards which can damage the veins. You don't have to do anything to the releaser.

maple flats
02-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm just finishing my connections to my Alamo 75 today. I am using 2" PVC from the pump to the tank, should I use a 2" check valve or step up to 3" and 3" check to prevent a restriction on the system. Or just put in a 2" ball valve and close it when I'm shutting the pump off? Does a check valve allow full flow in operation?

red maples
02-19-2011, 07:27 AM
just don't turnit off until those lines are frozen solid. The only thing is once the lines are frozen I like to open the dump flap on the bottom so there is no sap in there to freeze up and break anything!!!

BradWilson
02-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Speaking of freezing. I have an electric releaser. It's hooked to a Goulds pump. Has anyone used heat tape to keep the pump and inlet and outlets from freezing? I'd hate to have the pump freeze and crack.

wiam
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Maple flats; The check valve will not need to be oversized. The nice thing about a check valve over a ball valve is that the check valve will work when your not there (power failure, gas engine running out of fuel) also do not have to remember.

William

Brent
02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Don'gt worry about the size. There's almost nothing going through to restrict ... ie it's a vacuum (well nearly).

Unless of coarse you are using a vacuum booster then you get more don't you ... Haynes:D

twofer
02-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Speaking of freezing. I have an electric releaser. It's hooked to a Goulds pump. Has anyone used heat tape to keep the pump and inlet and outlets from freezing? I'd hate to have the pump freeze and crack.

My releaser and Gould pump are located 400' away from the sugarhouse in an unheated lean to. In order to prevent the pump from freezing I have a normally open solenoid valve on the drain port of the pump and then another after the check valve. When I turn off power to the pump house the valves open and drain the sap.

Big John
02-20-2011, 07:50 AM
don't shut it off. leave it on until you pull taps.

Maple/Cherry
02-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I have the same setup in a pit. Goulds Pump and electric releaser. I use a 24" electric base board heater with a theromastat.