PDA

View Full Version : 5" Filter Press by Daryl

Dennis H.
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I had the chance today to try my new 5" filter press that I bought of Daryl up in NW PA.

Man is this thing the cats meow!! I filtered 2 gals of syrup thru it and the syrup came out sparkling.
It was money well spent.

I am not sure if anyone else does this but what I did once the syrup was filtered I took the filter press out to the evap and put both lines in the flue pan and started pumping. Watched the outlet hose till it ran clear and than opened the the press to remove the papers. I wanted to get all the sugar out of the press before cleaning it.

Thanks Daryl, your filter presses ROCK!!

Daryl
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Dennis
Glad you like the press.
I still have some 5 X 5 hand presses for sale.
Daryl

Gary R
02-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Dennis, that is a great idea! I'll make sure to do that when I finally get to use mine.

Dennis H.
02-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that with 2 gals of syrup I mixed in about 1 cup of filter aid.

I probably could have used less, and with that much filter aid I should have added another pair of plates. Toward the end it was getting hard to pump syrup thru it. But when I was useing sap to clean out the sugar it was rather easy.

Here is a pic of the junk that I filtered out of the syrup.

3rdgen.maple
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
All that came out of 2 gallons? WOW

Dennis H.
02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Yep 2 gals of syrup!

maplwrks
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Dennis--Once I'm done filtering my syrup for the night, I try to run most of the contents of my syrup pan thru the press whille I'm cleaning up. This will help get some of the nitre out of the sweet in the front pans and keeps it from settling and baking on to the pan. I like to finish the night with a splash from the flue pan to chase out the sweet and pull it apart.

802maple
02-19-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been doing this for years and it helps tremendously in keeping the pans clean.

Sugarmaker
02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Just had a Sheets 5 x 5 delivered to my door today and will try it as soon as we get some weather and sap.
After filtering with the felt strainers for 40 years I figured it was time for a upgrade.
I will let you know how it works. I like the construction. I am going to use a rolling cart to set it on and then plumb from the dumping station to the press and then set my 2.5 gallon bulk containers underneath.
Daryl,
Thanks for taking the time to bring this up.
Regards,
Chris

Dennis H.
02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I also will have a rolling cart but it will have to wait till next season.

I like the idea of using it on the syrup pan. For some reason I did not think of it, I mean I thought of using the flue pan but not the syrup pan.
At least I can say I learned something new today.

Chris I know you will like the filter press. If you were any thing like me when Daryl showed up with it, I couldn't hand the money fast enough to Daryl. The build quality is just second to none.

Gary R
02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Dennis and Daryl, what type of tubing did you use on the press? I tried vinyl, it collapses on the suction side due to the heat. Thanks! I did do 2 1/4 gal. with three sets of plates and about 3/4 cup of DE this morning.

Dennis H.
02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I picked up some of the clear braided hose at Lowes or Home Hepot. Can't rememeber which.

Works real good. It gets nice and flexiable when the hot syrup goes thru it. I put something like 6' of hose on both the inlet and outlet.

Its an awesome little filter press isn't it!!

Sugarmaker
02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Dennis,
Had the same concerns about what hose to use too. [Gary thanks for testing this.]
I will look for braided hose at LOWES. Thanks for the tip.
Did you use 1/2 inch I.D.?
I was thinking about 4 -6 feet on each end.
I was considering keeping the filter press right up next to the side of the evaporator to keep the plates warm. Any thoughts?
Regards,
Chris

Sugarmaker
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
How are you guys deciding how many plates to use or not use?
Chris

Dennis H.
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I used 1/2" id hose. The bard fitting that Daryl has on it is 1/2"
I did pick up a brass 1/2" Barb fitting while at the store to put on the inlet of the pump. I knew that plastic barb fitting wouldn't handle the heat.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Dennis,
[Suggestion to Daryl: he may want to consider adding another barbed fitting to the input end also? It would make it just a little closer to being ready to use:)]
Thanks for the idea on the brass barbed fitting.
Did you put on a stainless hose clamp over the hose?
Regards,
Chris

Gary R
02-21-2011, 06:13 AM
When talking with Daryl, he feels the whole set of plates will do about 10 gal. before clogging. That number will vary a lot depending on the syrup quality. I only filtered 2 1/4 gal. I just guessed at three sets. I'm sure two would have worked fine. I only had about an 1/8" of filter aid on all the papers when I was done.

I'm going to get a hose clamp. Especially for the discharge side. While filtering, the outlet was a few inches from my stomach. I commented that if that line blew off, I would really get burned:o

mapleack
02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Guys, when I had one by BLB I used the braided hose. It'll still start collapsing from the heat but works. To make hook up / clean up quicker, get brass garden hose connectors for both ends. Quick thread on thread off process. If memory serves I believe I pre-charged with one cup of DE then stirred two more cups in an 8 gal batch. About 8 gal was the most I could run through without having to really push hard on the hand pump. Have fun with your new presses!

heus
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I see that Bascoms sells clear hose for hot syrup its about $2/ft

Sugarmaker
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Andy, and Jason and Gary,
Thanks for the hints. Rarely do we make more than 10 gallons a day. I guess if it stops at that point we will tear it down and clean it. I was going to leave the hoses permenetly attached to the filter press, maybe 4 feet on inlet and outlet?
Chris

mapleack
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Andy, and Jason and Gary,
Thanks for the hints. Rarely do we make more than 10 gallons a day. I guess if it stops at that point we will tear it down and clean it. I was going to leave the hoses permenetly attached to the filter press, maybe 4 feet on inlet and outlet?
Chris

For cleaning and storing purposes its easier if the hoses come off.

Daryl
02-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the input. I tried to get some more info from BLB but couldn't.
On new orders, I'll need to know what connections are needed.
Daryl

Sugarmaker
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Andy and Daryl,
I will look at the brass garden hose fittings. Sounds like the way to go!
Chris

waysidemaple
02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
One of these filter presses will be my major upgrade for next year. Quick question on the filter aid...what does that actually do. I know it helps with filtering but how. Im still a cone filter guy so im excited to get a filter press for next year.

mapleack
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I tried to get some more info from BLB but couldn't.
On new orders, I'll need to know what connections are needed.
Daryl

When I first got the 5" press, probably 15 years ago, it had plastic barbed fittings. Everytime it was used the hoses went on, tighten clamps, use, loosen clamps, take hoses off, wash, back together. It was a pain. Then I came up with the garden hose fitting idea, you can get hose fittings with barbed ends to insert, clamp and leave in. It makes hook up a breeze. Also something to consider, everyone, on the suction side I made a "wand" out of 1/2" copper about a foot long to have a solid suction point. On the discharge side I made a 1/2" copper hook that hooks over the edge of my bottling tank. It helps make it easier for one person to use the press. If you have trouble with the hoses kinking at either end of the press due to the way you're positioning it, consider elbows as necessary to allow the hoses to hang without kinking.

markct
02-21-2011, 04:06 PM
so daryl i saw you mention blb, i have an older 5 inch press that has a tag saying blb machine works but it has a channel iron frame and the plates rest against that, is this there newer design? i seperated mine from the pump so i could set the actual filter section right in a pan to keep spillage to a minimum, and just have a short hose and quick coupler to connect it to the pump, i like the way yours is made tho with the plates hanging on the rods so the drip pan can slide under

Sugarmaker
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
wayside,
I am surely not the expert but my "Casbohm" logic is: if you picture the particals of DE as intertwined microscopic jax [like the kids play with] then they have small gaps and openings and this is what helps the syrup flow through and the niter become trapped.
After writing this it looks more and more like I really dont know what the heck I'm talking about:)
Which reminds me I have to get some DE.
Andy,
I like the idea of the solid pick up going into my draw off dummping station and place I am going to mix in the DE. [I do need to have go from right hand to left hand as I move from one side of the rig to the other. Have to think about that and keep it simple.
On the output side of the filter press I plan to go into the 2.5 gallon plastic jugs for bulk storage. These will be on the lower level of a small stainless push cart that I have. So a spout or hook or something to keep it in the jug would be nice to avoid having the hose flop out and pump a bunch of hot syrup on my foot.

Regards,
Chris

markct
02-21-2011, 05:23 PM
i didnt make a wand for mine, just put a aluminum camlock coupler on the end of the hose and the mating end on my drawoff valve of my finishing pan. just hook up the hose and pump away, i didnt need another thing, the wand, to try and hang onto while working the pump! works great, for the outlet i made a u shape from 5/8 od stainless tubing that i hook over the barrel or bottler

Dennis H.
02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I wonder how those quick connect garden hose connectors would work with hot syrup?

Sugarmaker
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought of those too. ??
SM

Sugarmaker
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok this may not work but comments are welcome.
Use the cart to move from side to side. Have enough braided 1/2 inch hose to reach into the dumping station. Short 1/2 inch copper pick up portion into syrup. Keep the plates next to the arch for warmth? Output hose into the jugs on the bottom of the cart!
Will try the garden quick disconnects. ??? If they don't work I can screw the brass hose fittings together with out the quick disconnects. Sorry about the blurry pics. this old camera is on its last legs.
About another $50 in parts.
We need syrup!
SM

Dennis H.
02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Now that is what I am talking about. Those are the quick connects.

Brent
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
neat looking rig Chris.
With 600 taps I think you'll be learning how to say Oberdorfer by the end of the season.

Sugarmaker
02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Brent,
Yes that was a concern. We will see how this works and how long the wife's arm holds up:)
I have some 1/2 stainless pipe nipples coming tomorrow and will get a couple of SST elbows to bring the outlet port out away from the heat of the evaporator, so as not to melt the quick disconnects.
Those garden hose disconnects may crap out from the hot syrup? Could be a weak link. Always love having a weak link! In fact I may have been born with one?
SM

markct
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
daryl i notice there are reinforcement rings on the plastic pump, did you add those or is that the newer style pump, my filter press by blb didnt have them, but i have no idea how old it is. for quick disconnects i have 1/2 alum cam lock couplings and 5/8 dairy hose, i also seperated the filter press from the pump for easy cleaning and to allow me to use the pump for pumping syrup also.

Daryl
02-24-2011, 07:49 PM
That ring is my add on. The plates are supported on the threaded rods and the papers are held up with SS rods. The ears where the plates rest also work on the outboard end to take up the free play when tightened. It needs no other spacers other than a washer for the nut.
Daryl

markct
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
any chance of buying just a set of those reinforcement rings for the pump? i know i could make some myself but if you sell them seperate it would save me a bit of time! was there a problem with the pump housings breaking? or just being proactive by adding them?

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I would also slip a collor over the threaded portion of the plastic fitting. Even a hose clamp will keep the fitting from splitting. Over tightning the NPT fitting will make it split or with the heat it will splay out and then your sunk.

M & M maple syrup
04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you still have these presses for sale? If you do how do I contact you for further information on the unit. Thanks.

Daryl
04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I do have a 5' X 5" press in stock. I can be reached at 814-337-0103 or thru the Trader by PM or e-mail.
Daryl

Jim Schumacher
05-15-2011, 09:18 AM
This is one fine piece of equipment. I run about 20 gallons through it at a time. Yes my syrup is pretty clean going in as it goes through flat filters right off the evaporator, but the syrup is more clear then any I have ever bottled without it. Looks nice, works nice, well worth it. The best part is you are buying it strait from the manufacturer who is a passionate maple syrup producer himself. You can't beat that! It means the world to me!

Oh yeah, don't think that a filter press is not for a small producer, the amount of wasted syrup from filtering is about 1/8 of what gets wasted with flat filters. That would have meant a whole lot to me when I was only making 15 gallons or less per year.

I do have a question about DE application. This is the first year using a filter press for me. How long do you mix the DE in? Every time I've bottled it seems most of the DE I tried mixing in is all settled on the bottom of my warming pan. Some in the filters, but a lot in the pan. I've been using about 4 cups per 20 gallons. Advice?

Dennis H.
05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Jim I had the same thing happen to me, what I did was give the syrup a quick stir every-now-and-then.

Brent
05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
When I was using a filter press I stirred constantly while the syrup was recirculating. When I couldn't see any more in the feed tank, I opened the valve to discharge into the canner. Never had any left in the bottom of the feed tank.

You don't need to stir vigorously, just keep it moving.

holey_bucket
06-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Brent,
Yes that was a concern. We will see how this works and how long the wife's arm holds up:)
I have some 1/2 stainless pipe nipples coming tomorrow and will get a couple of SST elbows to bring the outlet port out away from the heat of the evaporator, so as not to melt the quick disconnects.
Those garden hose disconnects may crap out from the hot syrup? Could be a weak link. Always love having a weak link! In fact I may have been born with one?
SM

Sugarmaker, how did the quick disconnects work out?

Rockwood
11-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Daryl;

5" filter question.. Where do you purchase the filters? For I've looked at at least 15 maple supply sites and none offer them..

Plus can the hand pump units be upgraded to an electric one? Ever though of having an upgrade option to a electric pump select for the 5" unit?

Thanks

Brent
11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I think I have a source for you. It will take a couple days to confirm if they still have some.

Daryl
11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
At the present time, I make the filter papers. I plan to purchace a large quanity which is more than a sugermaker would use in many lifetimes. That is the minimum quantity from the manufacturer.
I will be working on a prototype electric pump model this winter. I also am thinking about a 7" press. I am not sure if that will be this year.
-Any questions, give me a call at 814-337-0103
Thanks,
Daryl

markct
11-26-2011, 09:41 AM
spragues maple in ny state is where i got mine from, about 30 bucks for 200 papers i believe it was, 1-800-446-2753 they shipped them quick and were easy to deal with, i also see them listed in the cdl catalog for a little cheaper but havent yet asked my local cdl dealer about them. daryl, i have what i believe is one of your presses, was originaly on a plastic plate with a hand pump and said blb machine i think on the tag, looks very simular, i seperated the press bank so it was easy to clean and just have it with alum quick connects and the hand pump seperate, but now upgraded to a gear pump. if you decide to make 7 inch presses let me know, i would be very interested in getting one, just the filter itself if possible, and hook it to my current gear pump

Brent
11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I think I have a source for you. It will take a couple days to confirm if they still have some.

Love's Sweetness Maple, a local Leader dealer has about 50 pieces of 5" papers in stock. He thinks they fit the old Darvo presses, but may fit Daryls rig.

If you're interested contact Steve at love'ssweetnessmaple@xplornet.ca
I think he has a local Mennonite shop that can make them in quantity.

HODGE
01-15-2012, 07:08 AM
If you forget to order or can't find 5" papers you can make your own. I've got a friend with a 10" press I buy papers from. Cut the 10" papers into 1/4's and punch holes in the right spots. I made a jig and use a sharp brad point drill bit to drill multiple papers at a time. You have to squeeze paper together for the drill to cut cleanly. A punch would work better. They work good in the filter press. Hats off to Daryl for making a really well made machine!

wiam
01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
One of these filter presses will be my major upgrade for next year. Quick question on the filter aid...what does that actually do. I know it helps with filtering but how. Im still a cone filter guy so im excited to get a filter press for next year.

I know this is an old question. The filter paper should not be what filters the syrup, it just catches the filter aid. The filter aid is what filters the syrup.

logboy
02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Does the syrup come out of the filter press hot enough to bottle it? Or do I need to filter it, reheat it, then bottle? I have one of Darryl's presses on the way.

Dennis H.
02-20-2012, 08:34 AM
I heat to 180ish then push thru the filter press into the bottler which brings the syrup back up above 180, I aim for 185. Then bottle.
You will loose some of the heat while filtering so you will most likely will have to warm it up a little to bottle.

rswansonvt
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a 5 inch hand-powered filter press.

R Swanson
rswansonvt@gmail.com

FDA
09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
You can buy it right here. http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php?product=49&title=5-26quot-3b-hand-filter-press&cat=26

HowardR
03-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Bosworth Company now makes a new pump and a new diaphragm for their Guzzler pump, which is the pump that Daryl sells as part of his press. Here's the page for the pump on their website:

http://www.thebosworthco.com/pproduct.php?ID=GH-0400N-3

The old diaphragm material was white silicon. The new alternative, which is supposed to last longer, is black Buna-N (Nitrile), which was recently approved by the FDA for food uses.

I called Bosworth. I was disgusted that my latest spare white diaphragm had only lasted a week! The knowledgeable salesman not only sold me a spare black diaphragm, but he also sold me a more expensive cast-aluminum top for the pump.

The new top solves a problem with the old pump because the old tended to go down at an angle, which was one of the reasons why the diaphragms tended to break. The new cast aluminum pump top always goes straight up and down. Not only that, but the new handle is longer, making it easier to put a lot of force into the stroke.

If you want to order the new pump, choose "Edit" next to "Handle Style" on the URL above, and then choose "Horizontal/19 inch/Tethered." You have to buy a whole new pump, but when you get it home, just take the top off your old pump and replace it with the top off the new one.

Also, from talking to the salesman, I realized another of the reasons why I was going through too many diaphragms: I was trying to keep my sap as hot as possible while I filtered, figuring that the hotter the sap, the easier it would flow in the filter press. The problem is that the diaphragm is not made for temperatures above boiling.

I just tried out my new pump and I did it at a temperature between 180 and 190 and it went very well.

jjmbrown
04-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Dennis
Glad you like the press.
I still have some 5 X 5 hand presses for sale.
Daryl

Daryl,
Do you still have any available? What is the price?
Thanks,
Jim

bcarpenter
03-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Anyone have to replace their membranes yet on their press? I think mine if finally calling it quits - anyone know the specifics so i can search for a new one one amazon to get the replacement membrane for the hand pump?

Thanks
Bill

Mike Van
03-25-2018, 06:07 PM
This is my first year with a 5" press from Daryl - My first try at filtering was a flop, quick call to Daryl was all it took to figure out the problem was the wrong DE - The stuff you can buy on amazon is too fine, plugs too fast. 10 pound bag from The Maple Guys was the cure, all working well here. Should have bought one years ago - Thanks Daryl -

Haynes Forest Products
03-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Yes the filter aid is what does the bulk of the filtering BUT just the filter alone would give you clearer/cleaner syrup than any gravity filter would do.

When using any filter press you need to recirculate the syrup back into your pot or finisher to heat all pumps, hoses and fittings. Then you switch to filtering and that heats the plates and filters. You need to do this this the syrup is clear and everything is up to heat so you don't suffer from the cool down.

3% Solution
03-25-2018, 07:52 PM
This is my first year with a 5" press from Daryl - My first try at filtering was a flop, quick call to Daryl was all it took to figure out the problem was the wrong DE - The stuff you can buy on amazon is too fine, plugs too fast. 10 pound bag from The Maple Guys was the cure, all working well here. Should have bought one years ago - Thanks Daryl -

Got ours last year ...
Got through the learning curve last couple of weeks ago ....
Yupper they work slick .....
Been getting 8 gallons with a set of papers .....
It is jamb packed full at the end ......

marlmucker
04-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Just finished out last batch which was 6 gallons. Did 4 gallons the other day, the press worked great.

Sorry, don't know how to rotate picture :0

hambone
04-02-2018, 04:44 AM
We just ran 8 gallons thru our Sheets 5 inch with 4 cups of DE and it went smoothly. I agree there is a learning curve but once you get it, it makes filtering pretty slick. What is the best way to store DE?

cabinetcap
04-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Marimuck, are those grey discs, umbrella valves. I still have the flapper type and thinking of trying them.

ronintank
04-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Received my new press from daryl, man this thing rocks. Crystal clear syrup looks really nice.1849418495

Father & Son
04-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I found some food grade plastic liners for 5 gallon buckets to store my DE in. If you leave it in the bag over time it will get musty